Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shaunlenway

Skull whitening

4 posts in this topic

I'm working on finishing up my skull mount and would like the skull to be a little more white. What should I do? Bleach? Peroxide? Boil it?

Thanks

IMG_0685.jpg

You gotta degrease it first. Soak it in Dawn dish soap and ammonia and water. Put in an aquarium heater to keep it at about 90 degrees for a few days. Repeat until you get all the grease outta the skull then soak it for a few days in 3% peroxide. Let sit in sun.

Or you could just send it to Cory at Lucky Seven Skullworks

I don't know much about skulls but I do know that if you overdo the bleach it eats away the smaller bones. I'm sure you'll get more good info like the above post soon.

Looks like you've done a great job so far. Nice looking skull.

The thing that I've found to work the best, is making a paste from Basic White and 40 volume peroxide. Both can be found at a Beauty supply store that sells hair products. Mix it together until it's the consistency of toothpaste. Brush it all over the skull, but keep it off the antlers.

If possible, let it sit in the sun for a couple days, or until it's as white as you want.

Rinse any extra paste off and let it dry completely.

It's a good idea to seal it then. Just brush on white elmers glue and let that dry. That should do it.