• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Salmon question

I bought some wild salmon with skin on. It is currently frozen. What would you all recommend as a way to prepare it? Should I thaw it first?

I thought about grilling it in a foil packet with seasonings, etc, so any suggestions would be good there as well.

Thanks!

I have cooked them on the top shelf thawed out with skin side on the grates. I like a little brown sugar on them. Google salmon recipes and choose some different ingredients for the rubs.

This is my absolute favorite way but you will need a ceder plank or a ceder shake that is untreated.

Spray the ceder shake with oil or rub with olive oil and then sprinkle Cajun spice all over it( don't worry it will not heat it up )lay the fillet without skin down and oil and sprinkle again with spice. Now you need the zest of one lemon and lime and a equal amount of fresh grated ginger, mix all of it up and cover the top of the fillet and grill on high for about 20 min. or till the fillet can flake.

Sauce

Mix up 1/2 cup soy sauce and 1/2 cup sesame oil and 2 or 3 fresh green onions chopped up into small pieces and mix up.

Scrap off the zest mix and cut up a portion and spoon on the sauce with the onions on top and you are ready to eat.

I would thaw it first. Then at least a 1/2 hour (I have done this for up to 3 hours) before grilling drizzle a little olive oil over it, sprinkle some garlic-garlic, Montreal steak seasoning and dill on it. When you are ready put it on the grill directly over the coals skin side down. Once it becomes a little firm I flip it over and sear the flesh. Depending on how hot your coals are and how thick the fillet is you may have to flip it back on the skin side to keep the flesh from burning before it is done.

Cedar plank on the grill is the absolute best way I have ever had salmon. Soak the plank in water for a couple hours first, pat dry, put olive oil on plank, fresh sliced lemons on the filet. Cook till done. Be ready with a squirt bottle to put out any flames that may come from the plank burning.

I have used them more then once but I buy the untreated shakes at Menards and I think a third of a square was $13.00 and that is pretty much a lifetime supply plus you can give some to friends. The planks they sell just for salmon I feel are just too expensive but I am sure you would get a lot of use out of them as long as you soaked them. The shakes that I use I never soak just slap on the olive oil. I gave the recipe to my brother in law parents and they felt like it the first time that they ever cooked something at home that was almost a gourmet type meal and they are in there 60s. I made no special adjustments just preheat in high and keep it on high.

The shakes that I use I never soak just slap on the olive oil.

When I have to use a gas grill, the grill is so close to the heat that if the planks are not soaked good, they are always on fire.