• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would guess there is a decent weed bite right before dark - shallow running cranks get the nod. Otherwise live bait or trolling shad rap style cranks on structure breaks should get you in fish.

Its almost camping season and i have a camper at oneal creek. I love the lake and love fishing but my girlfriend is not into the walleye like i am. So for her to let me go fishing more i have to take her and i need to find the panfish. If anyone can give me some advice on where to go and what to do that would be great.Cant wait for open water.

Welcome to FM!

For Wissota, if you can time the crappie spawn its great fishing, water temps will dictate - usually low to mid 60 degrees is key. Often you have to hunt around early to find the warmest parts of the lake - it can vary by several degrees. Hit the bays and look for shoreline wood.

After the spawn you can get them either suspended or by setting up on top of cribs.

Some nice bluegills - again, spawning time is your best bet. If you just want to catch fish you can get small perch pretty much year round just by fishing shoreline cover. Hope this helps, fire away with any more questions.

The crappie bite on Wissota is starting to pick up. Fish are staging for the upcoming spawn. As every year, weather and water temps will dictate the shallow move. Surface temps in the mid 60s usaully finds fish near shore in the brush.

Took the family out on Wissota yesterday afternoon. The Big Lake was a little rough, but we managed to have some fun in the back bays, where the water temperature was at 65 degrees vs 54 on the Big Lake. We caught a few smallmouth, and some slot eyes. Also a northern going 28". Not too bad for a few hours on the water. Will be back soon!

Mixed reports from Wissota over the weekend - some did very good and others ok. Trolling shad raps seemed the most productive presentation. Lots of slot fish caught.

Out tonight just messing around, had the kids along. Targeting walleyes, and we got into a nice little batch of them, just tossing a jig and a minnow (all released). Fishing with very light jigs on ultralite rods. At the end of the night I hooked into nice little kitty who gave me a tussle on that 4 lb test line. Audrey made the assist with the net, good job kid!

5-8-09029.jpg

5-8-09031.jpg

Nice pics Powell! My bud got a bunch of nice crappies up shallow on Friday - should be good for a week or two depending on the weather. I'm gonna try to make it out there early next week.

Thanks man, here area few more for you!

I took a couple of clients on Wissota on Saturday, what a windy day!! Very rough going, hard to fish the areas we planned on. All went well, however, with a little improvisation. We tried up from Anson for smallmouth, which didn't seem to be cooperating so well today until Bob hooked into this nice little football on a Rogue.

5-16-09006.jpg

Moving on, we tried for pike in the shallow water down from Anson. Bob made good right away on a big spinner with nice pike. Looks like something got a hold of this guy!!!

5-16-09009.jpg

We messed around a little more for smallmouth, and later for walleyes, in which we boated a few that would be nice eaters, but we released to be caught another day. Wrapping things up we took another stab at the pike, and Mike struck first catching this guy on a Kastmaster.

5-16-09011.jpg

We were faced with some tough conditions today, but we made the best out of it. Ended the night catching a few decent crappies, as the wind died down. Good day on the water, no matter how you look at it.

Back at her this morning with Dad, looking for a nice batch of crappies, and man did we get into some nice fish. We started fishing around 8:30 am, and by 11:00 we had a dozen big slabs. After that they pretty much shut off. We did get a few incidental pike, walleye, and smallmouth. By 2:00 we called it a day. What a beautiful day to be out. A nice dinner of beer battered crappie tonight and I am stuffed after only a couple of fillets!

5-16-09004.jpg

My dad was out on Fri with a bud who's been catching them shallow - no such luck on Fri. Cold weather must have moved them out. They did pick some up in about 12' of water.

Powell - did you find them shallow or deep on Sunday? I might try to get out there on Wed evening. Probably will hit the little lake.

Has anyone targeted cats in the past year or so? I used to fish for them a fair amount out there and did well - not many fish but the quality was good for both channels and flatheads. Thinking of breaking out the cat gear again this year.

Haven't been out for cats on purpose yet this year, but I am getting the itch. They should be picking up right about now and be goo til August with the peak in early to mid July. Can't wait to target them! We have had some great success the past few years.

Note from admin, please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.

Cooter if you wanna go chase a few cats this summer let me know!

What a Memorial Day weekend! Though we had a hatch on Friday, walleyes are pretty hot right now, and can be caught on a variety of presentations. Smaller jigs are producing nice walleye. When I say nice, I mean, quite a few slot walleyes.

5-22-09022.jpg

5-22-09029.jpg

The smallmouth are on the upturn as well, the river has been producing some that are quite nice. I got this hog on a jig tipped with a Gulp Alive Minnow.

5-22-09023.jpg

Funny thing happened tonight while fishing the river. As I was approaching some shallow water, I heard what I thought may have been a train, but could not remember any railroad tracks nearby, I turned my head to find the biggest swarm of mosquito's I have ever seen! Had to be a million of those little pests! And since I was fishing alone I had left the first aid kit in the Envoy which contained the repellent. I thought to myself, "Has anyone ever been killed by a huge swarm of mosquitoes??" Just when they came close to the boat, I decided I wasn't going to stick around and find out! I hit the motor and called it a night, and a beautiful night it was!

Walleyes on cranks, crawler harness/spinners, and jigs/hook and sinker with leeches or crawlers.

Gills should be shallow; I would try cribs for crappies but have no reports on them.