• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gulp Alive

alg

I've looked at Gulp Alive and have thought about buying some many times. Is the stuff any good? Anybody using it? I would like to try it for walleyes. If you do use it, how? Is it necessary to put some action to it? Thinking about using it on a jig.

My friend just tried some of the Silver Shad Gulp Alive when we were in Canada three weeks ago. The other two of us used live minnows.When the Walleyes were hitting well the Alive caught just as many as did live minnows. When it slowed down, the minnows outfished the Gulp noticably. We all were using lead head jigs. Bring an ice cream bucket to set the Gulp Alive bucket in to. The juice that the Alive is packed in tends to leak and is greasy and stinky.

In canada last summer i used it, 4 days of fishing, 1dz bag of gulp, and a dozen leaches($12). 20dz minnows and 6dz leaches($110). I outfished everyone else 3-2, And on top of that you can use it over and over and over. The time spent by them rebaiting leaches and minnows I was able to to be fishing becuase the stuff would never come off. On the last day when they were out of minnows, and down to nothing basically, I used was still using my original dozen bag of smelt minnows. At one time I caught 30 walleyes on the same piece of gulp. I lost count at 20 and I know I caught alot more.

I use the Gulp minnows a lot on a 1/4 oz. jig. I work it fairly fast popping it off the bottom and swimming it a little as well. I usually dont stop moving it. It has worked so far, so I havent tried to do it any other way yet.

I would have to think that there are so many types out already that it would tend to make a difference also as to who's catching fish with it and who's not.

Because personally I have hammered crappies and sunnies with it lately left and right and for me the real minnows have not even come close to comparing to the chart 2" minnow grub.

Used Gulp Alive emerald shiners a couple weeks ago in an active shallow jig-pitching scenario, and the 'eyes liked em on the initial fall, or when swimming them. This was in SD where you can have two lines - and those that didn't bite would follow the Gulp jig back and smack the dead rods in the holders behind us, also baited with the same gulp emerald shiners on a live bait rig singing in the wind...

Where you would normally lose a shiner on every swipe or hookup, you'd get your Gulp back each time. After landing 10 fish with two of them, I put them back into the tub to use again. I would have burned through 2 dozen shiners otherwise if you count the hookups and misses. So yeah, its worth the money when compared to the cost of shiners...

I think its worth buying a tub to keep in the boat all the time as an option or safety net. Its the cost of 3 good crankbaits... and I *know* most of have more than 3 cranks with us all the time. wink

We were trying for Walleye on South Center lake in Lindstrom and the sun fish kept stealing our gulp alive leeches. Kept thinking how expensive them suckers are every time we lost one. Too bad they arent a little tougher.

First tried like just a snout hook on a regular leech. After loosing a couple tried hooking it in three spots, Top, Middle and tail. After loosing a few more tried hooking them like a mister twister tail. They had trouble getting that off but it did not look natural. A long time ago berkley had some baits that looked like they were made of leather. Had to use a pliers to get them on the hook. I guess I was kind of hoping this would have been similar for $20