Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Neighbor_guy

swimbaits revisited....

20 posts in this topic

Now that we are a few weeks into the season, (and I have yet to fish) I was wondering people are doing on the swimbaits we debated about and chassed all over to get this spring.

Are they working? Are they not? How do they hold up?

We had guys chassing all over the place trying to buy them this springI am just wondering if it was worth it??

I can say that some do work well and some just cost alot. The hallowbelly does for sure catch fish with very good action, the money minnow is good as well, as for the shadalicious which I was fired up about because of the colors has about as much action as a cut up piece of tire. unless you real it about 50mph. (but i'm not bitter.) I would have to say the one I use the most is the Reaction Innovations one and it has worked great. So theres my .02 worth.

IMO, i love to use these baits when the time is right. There is alot of different times that it looks great for the baits, but just isnt in the right spot or the right time. I have had some great luck on these baits, and get alot of nice fish.

BNS, I'm curious as to what the right time is, I've used them a couple times but haven't really had the desired outcome....Like catching a fish on one lol. Maybe like you stated there's a time to use these. I'm sure lake to lake is a different story, but do you usually use them in the morning/afternoon/dusk? Any one else have any input?

Jakesbuds,

Which baits have you been throwing? Mayself I was playing with the Hollow bellys. I actually fished them in the afternoon where I would normally fish a spinnerbait. Got quite a few fish on them. Honestly I went off my dock just to test the action, first cast got a pike......which scared me as one wrong nip and I have a useless swimbait.

BNS, I'm curious as to what the right time is, I've used them a couple times but haven't really had the desired outcome....Like catching a fish on one lol. Maybe like you stated there's a time to use these. I'm sure lake to lake is a different story, but do you usually use them in the morning/afternoon/dusk? Any one else have any input?

It does really depend on the lake, and what your fishing. I have been having alot of luck fishing it in alot of heavy cover and withing reeds. Its been a great bait when the sun is up for me. I have also had good luck fishing it in pads as well. I guess what im saying is that fish it in cover, and you should be good.

Ive tried the money minnow, more to just see the action than expecting to catch anything. It looked pretty good in the water. I also tested out the luck E strike, bass magic (I think its the same mold and plastic as the shadalicious) and didnt think the action was very good.

I havnt caught anything on them yet but also havnt fished them too seriously. I probably start using them more as the summer progresses.

Thanks BNS, 1 more question. What size hook do you use to get the best action on these? 5/0 Weighted? Thanks Again

Ill throw my money minnows for about a couple of hours everytime I go out. Caught 1 bass on it on opener and several other strikes from Im thinking northerns, cause the body was all slashed up. They have a really nice action to them, unlike the Reaction Strike minnows I bought yesterday. they twist and they roll all without the tail thumping action. Kind of disappointed.

I like the look on people's faces when they see me chucking these big swimbaits. And they really give you a weird look when you tell them youre bass fishing.

I've found that they're very weedless and will come through heavy cover very nicely. I've used a variety of them this year, and there are big differences in quality. I've found that the size isn't really a factor either. I've caught lots of 12" fish on 6" paddletails this year. Sunfish can't open their mouths big enough to eat it, but they will still try to stun them.

hook size 5. I usta run it texas rigged, but i pegg the weight now so it dont move up and down the line.

I've only thrown the HollowBellys one day -- and caught fish with them. Weeks, rocks - it didn't matter.

Maybe the fish were just hungry and I could've been throwing anything...

I was in Indiana recently and stopped by Dick's Sporting goods and saw Shaw Grigsby's swim bait by Stike King. Comes in a pack of 5-6. Price was affordable...like a pack of Gulp. Has anyone seen these up here at a Dick's? Is this a Dick's exclusive? Gander didn't carry it.

im not sure, thats a good questions. I use alot of Strike King Cranks and Tubes, but never heard of the grigsby swims.

Grigsby's stuff tends to be a Dick's exclusive.

As a side not I am having a hard time finding a 5/0 weighted ewg hook. I prefer Gamagatsoos (sp) but at this point in time, I don't care what I buy. Does gander cary them? Fleet farm was a no. How bout the above mentioned Dick's? I hope to have the boat in the water this weekend or this comming week so ANY suggestions would help.

Owner makes a weighted twist lock hook. I also use 5/0. Reaction Strike also makes a weighted hook. I dont see why a 5/0 EWG with a bullet weight wouldnt work. Ive been meaning to try that.

The hollow belly has been a great bait for me so far this year. I have went threw quite a few but they do catch fish. It will depend on what stage the fish are in but ever since opener i have been getting some bits on them. Some people don't let there swim bait stop or fall but i have learned that letting this bait fall at "key moments" is key to getting fish to bit!!!!

Well, Dick's and gander were both no's for the hooks. frown

So.... I picked up some rubber core sinkers and pinched one on the hook. Looks like it should work and keep the bait from "spinning". Mabe I am just to "brand spacific" when it comes to my hooks. crazy

I got my hooks on-line from Falcon Lures. fishing world dot com I think

I've had the best luck with the twistlock type of hook in the short time I've used the paddletails. The weighted offset hooks just don't have enough space for the paddletail to collapse and get a good hookset and it's easier for the fish to throw it. Most of the bass I've caught have inhaled it and are hooked deep on the roof of their mouth. I've read about poor hook ups with these and I think this is the reason why.

I use unweighted twistlocks and crimp on weights. I'll also use the powder paint and dye the weights different colors, usually orange or chartreuse.