• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stained lake Help

wjs1975

Recently went to a new lake and it was very stained. Visibility about a foot. Very weedy and shallow. how would you fish this lake. I was running a plastic frog over the weeds and caught a few. next time I am going to try more top water...buzzbait. Just curious how you would fish this and colors

You don't need to be topwater, a spinnerbait or inline spinner above the weeds will work at times. Dropping dark colored plastics down in the weeds should get you some as well. Water clarity seems to be more important with fish like pike that will go a long ways to hit a bait. With bass you just need presentations that will get in close.

As Deitz posted,I'd go with any of these baits, but go with a big profile in mind.With a jig and pig, put on a big pork frog-like a #1 size.8-10 inch plastic worms,preferably with an action tail/paddle tail/auger tail, fit the bill.Spinnerbaits go with colorado blades,the bigger the better.Double bladed spinnerbits shine in stained/dingy water conditions.If you go with a single bladed spinnerbait,again, cast one with a big blade- a size 7, or 8 blade.Buzzers speak for themselves,but I like the Blue Fox Double Buzzer in dingy water.The point is use lures that put out the most vibration/noise possible.In dingy water, go big, or go home.Fish can't see very far in 1 foot clarity,so give them something they can find to strike.

Bigger baits - yes, noisy baits - yes, heck if the day is right, I'll pitch an unweighted Comida all day.

The thing I look for in weed infested bodies of water is transition areas. Are there pad fields that butt up against the weeds? Rockpiles? Bullrush beds? Hard bottom to soft bottom under the weed mat? Any significant transition in the underwater scenery makes for a bass hunting highway. Those are the things to recognize. The actual "lucky" lure comes second.