• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bug control in the boat

harvey lee

"black flies" are also known as biting gnats. IMHO worse than the mosquitoes themselves...

I have got to get one of these things!

Wal-fart camping section eh?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yepper Grant!

Quote:
I also picked up one of those bug nets that you put over your hat and head. Those freakin fish flies and who knows when the mayflies will hatch. I just hat those thing crawling in your ears and in your nose. It's not a fashion statement but who cares.

Mule Shack,

Those nets should work great! I used them on the pond for years.

Good luck this weekend!

Gnats.....#%%^&......Buffalo Gnats are the worst! They really chew me up. In my hair, ears, chew me up behind my ears....#%$&!!!! MAN I hate Nats!!

When the female gnats are biting about the only stuff that works for me is the 3-M Ultrathon lotion. Or the head net...and it has to be pretty darn bad before I reach for the head nets.

Them pesky $%&*&* Buffalo gnats tend to be the worst after a high water event, as they hatch out in mass from the moss left behind. So be ready for them this year guys!

KHNATS!!!!!!!!! Hate um!!!!

I swear by a Bounce dryer sheet, regular scent, hanging from the back of my hat to repel Gnats. Works all the time to keep em from my head.

Thanks for the thermacell tip guys. Oddly enough, I have to run to town today and hit the big box stores with the wifey, so at least now I have a good reason to go!!

That was my question too, JohnK. We spend all of our time trolling and I would love to have an alternative to the 100% Deet that I spray on to keep the skeeters away, those biting flys are immune to just about everything, they even come around the 100% Deet that I spray on my socks, shoes and hat!

Windy

I would say for trolling, it would not be as effective as when sitting still. It states that in the directions.

But I would try it and let us know.

I know when I move spots on the river, it takes a couple minutes to totally clear out the skeeters again, but they do not seem to be as bad as the first spot and before turning unit on. When I move, I do leave unit on and slide under console. This sends the permeating fumes up under the console and they go threw out the enclosed area of the boat, via and access opening (rather large) under the console. So, the fumes are still holding strong during a move and then when we stop, I open an access hatch in front and rear and all the fumes come out at that point.

This has been working for me.

Well, I didn't get much use out of mine this last weekend, with 35 mph winds on Friday and a steady breaze on Saturday there were no bug issues during the day.

I did fire mine up sitting in the lawn chair at the camp site friday night. The skeeters were buzzing my ears initally and then i said, Hey, i got my new toy i can try. I put it together and fired it up and set it by my feet. I honestly didn't see or hear one skeeter for the next hour. Short test drive period, but so far so good.

I had heard good things about the themacell a few weeks back when I was out with Hanson, pre-thermacell, so I bought one, and took it out on a "test drive" on the MN river a day later. Man they do work good, so good that you even forget that there are any bugs in the area. Then you turn on your headlamp, and you can see them all hovering, but not coming close to the fumes.

lambjm, where did you find that bug reppellent you call bullfrog? we looked at walmart,menards, home depot and fleet farm in st cloud last nite and noone had it and when i asked about it they looked at me funny. is this a special bug spray only sold in northern mn for them loon size bugs up north? let me know im real interested in it. i did get my thermocell at fleet farm last nite. $19.99 plus #19.99 for the 12 pac refill.bring on the bugs!

I received an e-mail saying Listerine, yes mouthwash will take care of the bugs. It said fill a 4 oz spray bottle and spray around your chair and around the are you want to protect. The only warning don't spray it directly on wood doors, but the frame around and around the area you are spending your time.

I have not tried it but a friend did and worked grat, and at 2.00 a bottle it will last all summer, and if a hot chick or guy comes by, a little spray in the mouth and your covered there also. Dual purpose...... "Believe it or Not"

I heard about Listerine to repel bugs just yesterday from a guy I was golfing with. He said it needed to be the Listerine that is sold in the brown bottle.

If it works great, but if it smells as bad as it tastes then........

Oh Oh, the girlfriend used the Listerene in the blue bottle. However, she claims that it did help.

Myself on the otherhand went and got myself a thermocell. I will see how it works this weekend.

I think Thermocell should be an FM sponsor with all of the good words said about it on here. I know a quite a few people that have bought them because of the reviews on here!

Listerene works!!!!! My mom has been telling me about it for years so I finally tried it. It is the "brown" or original Listerene, so you aren't minty fresh, but man does it work. What is weird is that the skeeters and stuff will still hover around, even land on you, but WILL NOT BITE!!!!. Pretty darned cool IMO.

Haven't had the chance t fir up the ThermCell yet, but will on Sunday.

funny thing is i was just at fleet picking up a new muskie rod (got a reel at a good price,so you have to get a new rod too right?) and was gonna throw a post on here asking people what their experiences with them were, looks like i may have a reason to make another trip out there, wahoo!

lambjm, where did you find that bug reppellent you call bullfrog? we looked at walmart,menards, home depot and fleet farm in st cloud last nite and noone had it and when i asked about it they looked at me funny. is this a special bug spray only sold in northern mn for them loon size bugs up north? let me know im real interested in it. i did get my thermocell at fleet farm last nite. $19.99 plus #19.99 for the 12 pac refill.bring on the bugs!

I usually get mine at wallyworld, it is not in the camping or sporting goods section, but in the health and beauty section. I like it because it is also a sunscreen. If you google bullfrog repellant you will find it at various online stores.