• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

wrong mono help

73mrpike

hi i need your help i have bought stren trilene shakespeare line and now suffix elite no matter what i do it comes of in coils or it twists among itself i have put it on with the label up and had it spun on at a sports store its always less than 1/8 of inch from the spool what im i doing wrong i cant even fish one day with all the line going bad this is a spinning reel i never put on more than the rating of the spool help please

When you lie the spool on the floor put some tension on the line as you start to reel on the line. Then hold the line loose to the spool. You will be able to see if it is twisting. Check it a couple of time while reeling on the line. If it starts to twist turn the spool over. Also make sure you quit putting on line more than 1/8" before you get to the end of the spool.

Yeah, I don't fill mine up to 1/8" either. Every time I have, it will coil up and twist on me. Do like Dan said and check it a couple times as you spool up. My last spool of line went on great. Try it with the label up first and then check it after about 10 cranks of the handle, if you have twist, flip the spool over.

You might just have a bum reel. I don't know the quality level of reel you have, but you may want to try and oil the line roller. If it has been a while, it can freeze up on you and it will twist the junk out of your line. That is often the problem.

hi the reel is a phfluger president 6735 when you say twist does this mean its coiling before it gets to the reel like in the eyelit not sure if i understand twist exactly i did check the roller its free and working please thank you for your help hopfully this will work

mrpike, if you really wanna save yourself the trouble, you could always have someone spool it for you, most larger outdoors store do this for pretty cheap, 2-3 cents a yard

hi bobb-o i have had line spun on for me before it just seems to last a few more trips then it goes bad again i dont think it is my reels i have 4 different brands and they all do the same thanks for the help

Twist is the thing that makes me not want to pick up a spinning reel. Certain fishing situations call for it though. Twist occurs from many different factors. It can happen from different types of lures. Using a small swivel helps on most different presentations, but then again it adds two additional knots (week points in the system). It also happens inherantly from reeling alone. When you pull the line it, it comes in and turns a 90 degree angle at the roller and then wraps around the spool. That throws twist into the line as well. When you first spool up the line if you do it yourself, make sure you keep tension on the line so it wraps and lays down nice and tight on the spool. Loose line does nothing but cause problems.

One tip that you will here often is the next time you go to the lake, cut the lures off, and drag the line on your spinning reels behind the boat until it goes all the way off the spool. The drag in the water alone as you motor from the launch will be plenty to peel the line off. Then when the line is off the spool, reel it back in. This allows the line to come off completely and start from scratch, freshly wrapped on the spool.

The supply spool is a different diameter than the spool on your reel. For this reason it won't matter which way you draw the line from the supply spool. It will twist to some degree either way. The best way I've found is to lay the supply spool on the floor and begin adding line onto your reel. As you do this hold the line lightly between your fingers to add just enough tension to maintain consistent tension on the reel. After a few cranks (20 or so) of your spinning reel flip the supply spool over and crank some more. By flipping it over you'll be drawing line off the supply in reverse direction. Keep flipping it back and forth until your reel is full. I too don't go quite to 1/8" but more like 3/16".

As you use your rod and reel the action of lures will undoubtedly add some twist to your line. Swivels can help but they won't completely prevent it. As Polarsusd81 already noted a very effective way to remove line twist is to cut off all lures, swivels, etc. and then with your outboard idling in gear let out all of your line from your reel and let it drag behind the boat for a few seconds. Now, here's the "reel" trick. (spelling error intentional) As I already mentioned, the reel by its design will twist your line as you retreive it. To prevent this from happening retreive your line slowly so the line can roll with it.

Line twist is an inherent problem with any spinning or spin casting reel. Bait casting reels don't twist the line because they roll it on vertically rather than spinning it around the spool.

Personally, I haven't experienced a "bird's nest" since I was a kid and I fish almost exclusively with spinning reels. Another thing that can help is when choosing a spinning reel, consider those with larger diameter spools. The smaller the spool diameter the more twist you'll put in the line as you retreive.

Since I have switched to Gamma I have found that I almost never have to deal with line twist unless I am Lindy rigging with leechs and even then I might go the whole day before I cut everything off and straighten my line behind the boat.

I am having the same problem with a couple of my spinning reels that are spooled with floro and copoly (both filled at the store). I am going to try letting the line out behind the boat to try and fix ... but I worry that another boat will motor over the line. Has this every happened to anyone??

One other thougtht ... since the point of letting your line out behind the point is to remove the line twists, wouldn't spooling your new line by having someone hold the spool with a pencil through the spool hole letting it roll straight off as you are reeling the line onto the reel work just as well when putting on new line (instead of laying the spool flat on the ground)?? I would assume that this would eliminate the guess work of flipping the spool over to compensate for the twisting when putting on new line.

I typically used fireline & powerpro and rarely struggled with the line twist issues. Since I started walleye & ice fishing, I have been using more floro/copoly and have been struggling with the line twist issue intermittently.

I had a store do 2 reels of P-line halo and both were spun bad,I eneded up putting on an ice fishing depth weight and letting all the line out ,the 1st time it was a bit better, ended up doing it twice before I got the twists out.I usually do my own line like Dan said and never had troubles with mono, I wonder if it is mainly a problem with the florocarbon lines?

So much for the convience of having the store do it - I assumed I was doing something wrong when spooling it myself, so I had the store do it (a reputable fishing place). Since others have had bad experiences with store spun reels, I may have to go back to doing it myself.

May be coincedence, but my floro filled reels seem to be the worst for line twists on spinning reels.

Thread the line through your a few of your lower line guides.

Put spool on floor, label side up.

Lower rod so that there's only about two feet of line distance.

Feather the line between your thumb and finger and reel.

All else, a better reel does a better job at reducing line twists.

Does Gama have the same characteristics as Floro - low stretch, abrasion resistant, faster sink rate than mono, and less visible in water??

I picked up some Gama 4# on clearance to use for ice fishing - will the normal Gama line work jas as well as Gama Polar Ice for ice fishing?

Thanks!

Guiding everyday and having primarily spinning reels for our clients to use has me changing line quite regularly. First to save money I use backing on all our reels, then I only have to spool 50 or 60 yards of line each time. I have an old Tupperware style juice container (narrow plastic container) that I fill half full of water and then submerge the spool in the container. This cleans the line as it go's on, keeps the line from getting hot as it runs across the guides and helps provide tension on the spool.

I've learned that the three biggest causes of line twist are:

1. Improper spooling

2. Not closing the bail by hand

3. Reeling against the drag when fighting a fish

With spinning reels the twist can come from many factors during filling or from use.

From filling the most common cause is that the line winds off the spool in the opposite direction that is wound onto the reel's spool. Then there is the differnce in spool size that will cause twist even if the two spools are set up to wind in the same direction. This is not as big of an issue if using the smaller filler spools but go up to the larger 300 yard spools and you'll need to flip the filler spool back and forth to counteract the twist. I usually have someone stick a pencil through the center hole in the filler spool and wind it straight off the spool with the helper supplying some tension on the spool. This helps a lot.

Twist from use with spinning reels have a few common causes. One is drag slippage while reeling. If you do this a lot you'll have lots of twist. Also there are lures that are out of tune causing them to spin in the water. Even with a swivel this will add twist unless your using the best swivels. Also using baits that spin by design with no swivel or using a cheap one will add twist.

I haven't experienced this personally but I have several fishing partners who have got rid of reels due to twist issues from normal use. At least half of these where Pluegers. I don't own one and I hear they are quality reals so I'm not sure if this is an issue with some of their models or not. I also have several fishing partners that swear by them. So I'm not sure what to think about whether some of their reels have issues with line twist or not.

Finally the line does play some part in the twist issue as well. Softer, lighter, finesse lines tend to be more likely to twist as they offer less resistance to lures that spin.

If you're noticing twist clip off all terminal tackle and go for a brisk troll letting the line out as if you're trolling. The water resistance will help pull out the line once you get enough out and that same resistance will untwist you line and you be good to go again. Just be aware that if the twisting gets too bad it will weaken the line and it should be replaced.

Just my experience with line twist. I have very few issues with it unless my wife hooks up with a big fish. She's still figuring out the fighting technique and tends to keep cranking even when not making progress. When she done with a big fish I grab her another rod and change the line when we get home as it's toast due to twist.

Good Luck!

well i guess im not alone thank you so much for all youre help i may try some fire line is there any down sides to this i fish mostly northerns use cranks 90% of the time thanks to all

I run 3 Pflueger Presidents and have not had a problem except when it is related to the bait/tactic - soft plastic jerkbaits will cause line twist as will other tactics.

I have used them without problem with mono, flouro, and braid.

The only advice I can offer beyond what has already been mentioned is never flip the bail back overby reeling. Always do it manually. Not sure why this works but it helps.

I use 6lb test Fireline for Nothern when trolling or casting cranks. It works great for me. You have better feel, it cuts through the water faster than mono, you can tell or feel when you pick up a small weed or even a blade of grass with experience, and it will not twist like mono.

The biggest down side to it that I found is if your cranks are not running true in the water when trolling you will have a tangled mess when trolling multiple lines out of the boat. This is easily fixed by tuning your cranks to run straight or true in the water by bending the front eye one way or another to let the lure run straight up and down (verical)in the water.

Call me strange, but I got very tired of the line twist thing, which eventually in time is a fact of life with spinning reels, but I put the 20 lb. test/ 6 lb. diameter Power Pro super braid on my spinning reels the put a QUALITY (Sampo) snap swivel on the end & put various types of snells on that. I've had far less troubles than with mono. I still need to do the line drag with nothing on it once in a great while. I've had that line on there for 2-3 years, might last longer. The quality ball bearing swivel is a real help though, yes they are expensive & no they are not all the same. L2f