• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Nice video Deitz and Ray!

Scott M

Just wanted to say nice work on the video. Talk about two guys having a great time trying a new lake and switching things up. I won't ask where, but how about when? When did you shoot the video? Slow presentations after the cold front? Slow enough for a turtle to grab the bait grinsmile

I would like to see some more videos like these with new tips and techniques!

once again another awesome show by the home boys. They are the best at what they do, as you can see, they make it out all the time not only to show people how to do it, but teach them as well.

Awesome stuff bud.

Thanks all for the kind words... The Video was shot 3 years ago I think.. We shot the video and then the footage was lost for a while and then as you can see re-found.. LOL

It was about this time of the year... And we were fishing a gravel bar that topped out in about 8 feet of water just outside a small bay. These fish as I said about 100 times too many were just coming out of post spawn and migrating back to the shallows... A lot of the show was edited out.. I would be willing to bet Ray and I caught close to 40 fish... It was a fun day.

Thanks all for the kind words... The Video was shot 3 years ago I think...

Now that makes more sense.......For a while I thought this video was shot real recently and I was really confused. While I have been in Wisconsin, I still couldn't figure out where the 2 weeks of 80's were and the postspawn bass moving shallow good again.

By the way good video!

Deitz, or anyone else... I have a question about this. Do most fish spawn, then go out deeper to recoup, and then come back shallow to feed before they get into their summer patterns? I'm confused about when you say that the fish were coming out of the postspawn and about to head back into the shallows.

I know last year I experienced having postspawn fish coming back shallow to feed on the sunfish while they were spawning. I'm just wondering if this is a yearly thing. (postspawn fish coming back shallow after their done recouping)

Thanks for any insight

B0b- this is my opinion, with some fact to it as well.. After bass spawn.. Some stay shallow.. there always seem to be fish shallow. But some do pull back and recoup.. Some pull back and suspend in open water. Either way, these fish are very very hard to catch. I have seen fish on an underwater camera, and for thelife of me thrown the tackle box and them and they are like sleeping. Then, there seems to be a migration back to the shallows for a while before pulling back to summer patterns.

Great information.

I also have a Question for ya bud. When you are talking about post spawn, where is the best place to try and find these fish. Im guessing there going to be anywhere from the 5-15 FOW or am i wrong.

perfect deitz, thats just the answer I was looking for, it clears things up. Like I said before, I believe one of the reasons they come back shallow may be because of the sunfish spawn. Just my thoughts though.

I've also noticed that during the full moon in June there is usually one more wave of spawning fish as well as postspawn fish that come into the shallows. Last year it made for some good fishing. I'm hoping that will happen again this year in the next week or so with the full moon approaching.

Quote:
I also have a Question for ya bud. When you are talking about post spawn, where is the best place to try and find these fish. Im guessing there going to be anywhere from the 5-15 FOW or am i wrong.

True Post Spawn is very hard to figure out. I for one have not come close to figuring it out. Many fish I think pull tight into weeds and rest, some I think follow long points out and suspend over deep water, some pull back to the first weed edge and sit. I do know I have found fish on camera like I said that are true post spawners and I for the life of me cant catch them. Especially the suspended fish.

Now when they are coming out of post spawn and heading back to the shallows, I do best on points, access to deep water is important, but the fish could be shallow. In this video Ray and I were targeting a point with some rock on it, somewhere in the 8-12 foot of water...

And those were merely the highlights that day. I wish we could show the other 2.5 hours of video. It was just constant fish (or, maybe that's just the way I remember it). I think I made it the entire 3 hours without even blurting out a profanity on camera. That in itself is worthy of dispay. grin

I let Deitz off with a tie that day. The "best" jigworm fisherman I am NOT. Just a big fan of them baits.

If any of you guys were fishing the east metro tournaments back in the late '80s and early '90s (Deaf Anglers, Mr G's, Mehsikomer's, etc.), you would probably remember the two guys that fished out of a Ranger tiller boat. Those guys just dominated the events on Forest, Big Marine, Chisago, and North-South Center. And, they were and still are two of the best jigworm fishermen I know. And, one of them, Jim Gelhaye, taught me just about everything I know about the why's, when's, and most importantly the where's. In 1992, when we (partner was Scott Peterson) finally won one of these events on Forest Lake fishing jigworms, Jim was the guy I thanked for being such a good mentor. I don't think he was terribly thrilled about it at the time, but several years later he let me know that he was happy that I had taken his experience and put it to good use.

There's a ton of guys that are better jigworm fishermen than I, but behind every good one I bet there is a good mentor. And, the same can be said for bass fishing, or any fishing, in general.

Ray is modest, he is one of the best jig worm angles I know.. He may not be the best shallow water bass dudes, but when summer hits, look out! Flat out can fish.

As Ray said, and I have had a few e-mails as well.. This vid was good, but could have been sooo much better, its just what footage do you keep what do you throw.. we had a ton of tackle tips, rigging tips, a lot more fish!!!!! Ray did kick my butt, but not as bad as the footage showed and I was in the back of the boat!

I kinda wish the turtle footage woudlnt have made it, but it did put up one heck of a fight!!!

Great video guys!!!

Thanks for the call and heads up on it Deitz.

I will be that by the end of the day, Ray took Deitz over his knee and really spanked him. LOL Just kidding Deitzy.

No turtle soup???

Good fishing guys and take care,

Chuck