• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Xcel Energy Saver Switch?

311Hemi

Question

Anybody have the Xcel Energy Saver Switch installed on their AC unit? Xcel gives a 15% discount on summer electric bill, just not sure if there are any downsides to haveing this installed?

10 answers to this question

I just had it installed. They only cycle the power on high demand days, weekdays from 11am-8pm only. Average of maybe 5-12 days a year. If you know you dont want it to cycle on a certain day, call and they will not cycle it then. You get the discount from June to Sept. I heard the only time you will notice anything is on the extreme hot days with high humidity. It will be a little stickier then your used to, but should still be considerably cooler then outside. They cycle it 20 minutes on, then 20 minutes off. So if your a/c needs to run more then half of the day to cool your house, then you will notice it, otherwise, not so much!

I've had one for at least 10 years and I haven't noticed the difference. 4 has the basics down on how it works. During those dog days when you think you're going to die outside is when it becomes an issue. If you listen to the weather at 10 pm and they tell you one of those days will be tomorrow, then turn on the AC that night. By the time they start to cycle - noon to 6 pm, your house should be cooled off and dried out and you won't even notice that the compressor is off for 20 minutes. On the other hand if you're trying to play catch up and turn it on at 5 when you get home from work it may be a bit of a problem.

I also have the energy saver switch going on three years and haven't noticed a difference. From what I understand they told me and by just looking at it....they wire it in between your a/c unit and the "source" that controls it on or off (thermostat). From what I understand, it doesn't turn it off completely it just "cycles" the a/c unit on and off.....Your thermostat will still think it is running the A/C unit and keep the fan on your furnace running circulating the air throughout your house. This setup will still keep your house cool drawing the cool air from your basement and circulating it throughout the house unless your downstairs gets just as hot as your upstairs. It's well worth the savings in electricty and unless you like your house as cold as a ice box running the a/c constantly, you won't notice the change...until you get your electric bill....

Steve