• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Digital SLR's

We are looking to purchase one of these but find many different options available. We are novices when it comes to SLR's but a few things we would like are the ability to go fully auto and full manual for landscapes and varying light conditions. Would also like live view on the display.

What is the difference between in-lens stabilization and in-camera stabilization and which is preferred?

Any info on the best camera for the money would be greatly appreciated.

eagle, any DSLR on the market today will give you full auto, full manual and a whole other range of settings, so you're good to go there.

I'm not sure which entry level DSLR camera bodies might have live view on the display. Sorry about that.

I can tell you that if you're planning on using lenses 200mm or longer, in-lens stabilization will do better than in-camera. If all you're going to do is wide to medium angle, in-camera stabilization is excellent.

Olympus pioneered live view and Canon and I am positive Nikon has it as well. Sony has refined and supposedly vastly improved a new live view system this year with their spring release cameras.

As Steve said the consensus is image stabilization is more effect above 300mm focal length, but with in-camera EVERY lens is stabilized. With the IS in the lens you purchase a lens that has IS built in, something to consider for your shooting style.

There are a number of cameras that will fit you bill. You should get to a store and put the camera in your hand, how does it feel? How about the location of the controls for you? How does the menu system work for you?

Good luck with the search, you really can't go wrong with many excellent cameras on the market. Find the features that matter to you and go from there.

There are a number of cameras that will fit you bill. You should get to a store and put the camera in your hand, how does it feel? How about the location of the controls for you? How does the menu system work for you?

Or, you can do like me and order a used camera unseen. wink Up to the day that I received my used Canon 30D, I had never even touched a DSLR. Thanks to Steve, I knew what it was capable of and knew I would learn it and get used to it. However, most people don't advise buying without at least holding one. Unfortunately, I'd have had to drive almost 100 miles just to find a store that sells them.

Thanks guys, we are looking at the Canon EOS Rebel XSI and wondering if that would be a good choice. We stopped at Best Buy and compared a few with the assistance of a knowledgable sales associate. If I recall correctly only the Canon and Nikon had the in-lens stabilization. The Sony was nice too but it was the Canon that was recommended within this price group. For the most part the XTi would be adequate for us but does not have the live view. So, is the Canon the best buy within this group or would you recommend something different? And where is the best place to purchase? hsolist has some pretty good package deals??? Thanks.

Canon & Nikon, 6 of one and a half dozen of the other. Either way, you'll have a fine camera. Best Buy is not known for good prices. Also, stay away from package deals, especially off hsolist. You'll get a decent camera with a lot of junk. Buy a good camera and then put together your own package, based on what your intentions are with the camera. Some of the more reputable online dealers are Canoga Camera, Adorama and BH. If a deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Proceed with caution. There are many more crooked dealers out there than reputable ones.

eagle, the XSi is an excellent camera and should do you quite well. I've purchased all my camera gear online at Canoga Camera for the last four years. Great company, lowest or among the lowest prices, excellent service.

It's likely their prices will beat most actual camera store prices. Their price for the body kit without lens is $799. With 18-55 lens it's $829.

Thanks again for the info guys, it looks like it will be the xsi. Are all hsolist items not legit, even the buy it now dealers where there is no bidding? I see one listing from Pyxis Camera that has several lenses (all Canon) and an accessory package for not a dirt cheap price but very reasonable. Any possibility with this one or for sure stay away?

hsolist is a toughie. Lots of legit sellers, some not so legit.

The online retailers already mentioned by Mike and me offer several different XSi packages with an assortment of lenses and other gear. I'd really recommend taking a look at one of them rather than going with an unknown vendor.

Normally you can look up an online vendor to get satisfaction ratings at the resellerratings Web site, but Pyxis has never even been reviewed there. That tells you something right there — run away fast!

I agree 100% with Steve. I have read dozens of horror stories from people dealing with unknown vendors. It makes much more sense to spend a few more bucks and not have to worry. The temptation to save a few bucks is always there, just don't let it override common sense and good advice. grin

The problem is that most are not true Canon dealers so your warranty will not be valid and most of the extras are not good quality. I looked at hsolist but when spending that kind of money I want to be able to return it or get it repaired without the hassle of someone that is not a brick and morter store. I found that out when I bought a (new) cell phone and it ended up being refurbished and I never did get it resolved. I went with B&H but since then thanks to others on the board I have found Canoga. Both are Canon dealers with outstanding reputations. Sorry about the repeat of info but I can't type as fast as Steve and X.

Eagle,

how do you like the xsi. I am looking at getting it also. just trying to get a little feed back from someone that just bought it. My only other question would be what lens would you HAVE to have with in price reason. I know it comes with a 18mm - 55mm IS lens.