• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

crawler harness..?

minneman

Question

Hey all, just wondering what your thoughts were on these, if you were getting (short) hits with a single hook spinner/crawler combo, what would your choise be, use a harness? or shorten the worm presentation by 1/2 or hook in the middle? or go to a leach or minnow? when crawlers seem to be the best option for at least getting a hit?? thanks for your input!

11 answers to this question

One of the top money-winning pros on the walleye circuit never uses a full crawler. If he is fishing night crawlers, whether on jigs, rigs, spinners, he's using half a crawler.

He made a believer of me.

I would switch to a plain rig w/single hook. If they are not pounding the spinner rig which they aren't if they are short striking, slow down and get right on top of them with a slow moving presentation. You will also find out of quickly if your dealing with Perch or bonus large Bluegills.

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/
click here

The only time I ever use a crawler harness is in a tournaments when I am trolling spinners. Other then that, a small crawler or half a crawler on a spinner will work just as good.Scott Steil

It's funny but there is some truth to that. When I'm fishing in the spring I will pick through my bait and save the biggest leeches and the fattest crawlers for the tournaments. When pre-fishing bass tournaments we will bend the hooks over to just feel the pick up and then shake em off.

LOL, yes exactly....well kind of!

I should have clarified, trolling at higher speeds, with planer boards to be specific.

[This message has been edited by ScottS (edited 08-28-2002).]

I have caught more walleyes on a 1/8 oz jighead and half a nightcrawler than any other presentation put together.

I have had great success using a full nightcrawler on spinner-rigs with the 2 hook system behind bottom bouncers. I always run these rigs using a *pumping* motion and set the hook immediately on fish. The hookup ratio is very good and never seem to gut hook the fish.

Another presentation I have been meaning to try here (MN) is a tecnique I learned of fishing lake Erie the last few years. The most popular and effective method of fishing walleyes there is using Dipsy Divers with about a 6' leader to a unique type of spinner rig. The rig they use is about 10" long, consiting of two #3 indiana spinners with some beads for spacing, and two #1 hooks for hooking the crawler. This is not the most natural looking presentation ... but it made me a believer by the incredible success we had on it with walleyes and steelhead. The average walleye is 6-9lbs. Smaller fish have no problem latching onto these rigs either. I guess it makes sense ... plenty of action and vibration to draw attention, and a fat, juicy offering once you get their attention. Sometimes these fish aren't as smart as we like to think they are.