• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shimano Stradic--New Bails

BradB

Question

I have a few different Shimano reels in the 1000 size, including a Stradic I bought a couple years ago. I bought a new Stradic 1000 this year for a walleye rod I built and just discovered that they changed the bail design.

The diameter of the bail is slightly smaller on the new bails than the old. What this means is that new bails are not interchangeable with older Shimano reels--they rub and you can't make a full revolution of the bail when reeling.

I tried on a couple different 1000 size reel models and the problem was the same. I like to switch bails out when fishing (line weight, type, etc.) and will now need to be careful I don't try to screw the new bail on older reels. I took a marker and wrote on them so I don't make the mystake in the heat of fishing.

FYI, if you like to switch out bails and are a fan, as I continue to be, of Shimano spinning reels.

Brad

6 answers to this question

Thanks for the info Brad.
I will have to pass that info on, many of us carry extra spools for our reels to adjust for the ever changing conditions.
Rob

Skeets,

Now why would anyone do that? They are all good reels. You seem terribly concerned that we buy "your" brands; RE: your comments about Vexilar vs. Colorpoint on another thread.

My opinion is that it doesn't hardly make any difference what brand you use. It is almost always the skill of the fisherman that matters--his knowledge, skills, and instincts. Rarely, if ever, does the brand of his equipment have anything to do with his success.

Whether it be reels, rods, sonar, boats, or anything else an angler uses who cares what brand it is as long as he is successful?