Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CALVINIST

effects of high water on lake fishing....

8 posts in this topic

Going on a family vacation up to Pelican lake in Orr in about a week, hoping to catch panfish, bass, pike, and walleyes. I hear the water is REALLY high right now. My question is, how does high water in lakes affect fishing in general? Does high water on lakes (not rivers) turn the fish off? I suppose it might be species specific. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

I've kept track for the last 30 years on Lake Nipigon. Water levels fluctuate here because of the Hydro electric dams on the only outflow. High water years are ALWAYS better fishing.

I'm not an expert but I would think visibility would be down so vibration and scent may help you more than having the perfect color. Watch out for emergency no-wake rules.

Most lakes are cyclic, with high water years offering good fishing and better fish spawning (as more shoreline structure is available). Low water years help by allowing for weed growth to extend further into the lake, creating more structure for fish. In general during high water years fish are in more accessible areas.

High waters means that the fish will come up more shallow and that the fishing will also be all around better.

i don't know about the high water history, but ely lake has been good fishing so far this year

I have always had better fishing when the water is high, but thats just personally.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• I would say your results speak for themselves, we often do things that don't make sense or trade short term gain for long term trouble. Nature does things for a reason that we often don't understand, why try to fix what isn't broken?
    • Two charter boats. (11 people) Fishing was very slow last Sunday afternoon (8), but we did really well on Monday morning (43). Due to bad luck drawing cards, neither Mrs Duff or I touched a rod on Sunday. She went 5 for 5 on Monday. That's fishing for ya though. And true fishermen understand that.   Some real nice fish this year, good luck to those that make it out there.      
    • And no, it does not have some sort of virus. They are calling it a phishing site and it is not. It competes with Google adsense so it make sense for Google to be sloppy in their algorithm.
    • Great storytelling with pictures on a portion of your life experiences in the  great outdoors.  Thanks for sharing Len.  
    • Len - This was a very nice article.  I enjoyed your writing style.  Take care.
    • I am going to pick up a box to pattern against what I am shooting now. Here is my question. They are available in both 1 3/4 oz. shot and 1 7/8 oz. shot in 12 gauge. In a 3" 12 gauge #5 shot shell, that comes out to a 21 pellet difference. The velocity for 1 3/4 is 1200 fps, for 1 7/8 is 1080. At 20 yards it would make very little difference, but say at 45 yards would you rather have the extra 21 pellets or the added velocity? I suppose the answer is to buy both and pattern them, but I am curious as to the thoughts of the folks on this board. Thanks
    • I was looking to get an otter XT pro cabin this winter, I was wondering of anyone on here has an otter in the pro platform and how they like the extra insulated walls. Does it seem bulky? Too warm on above 0 days? I wouldn't mind just the normal cabin but they only offer it with a bench it seems but having the extra insulation may be nice to have for those cold days here and there. 
    • Thank You for the very interesting and enjoyable morning read
  • Our Sponsors