• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishing this weekend

What a windy Saturday on Winni! The access at Plug Hat was really quiet! We just got new boat seats so I wasn't too concerned about getting pounded in the waves. We turned the corner to get to Highbanks and let me tell you, it was rough! We finally got to our spot and I realized why my ride wasn't so cushy-the cooler had wedged itself under my boat seat basically making it the least comfortable boat seat with air ride EVER! Needless to say, my back was a little stiff Sunday morning. But I'll stop whining now. smirk We caught the most fish in about 17 FOW. We caught ALOT of too small ones! We were using a 1/8th oz greenish jig. We caught some nice chunky perch so this winter should be pretty fun! I caught 2 northerns too.

Cool Lisa - I learned last week just how horrible a long ride on big water with high winds can be, my butt and back feel for ya - shocked

atleast the fish where biting. What is the slot limit on Winni? And save some of those perch for me this winter, that is definitly on my "go to places" list.

Winni is a fun lake to fish! There is a slot which I think is just great for preserving the fishery. The slot is 17" to 26" must be released (one over can be kept). We go perching on Winni in the winter. We move around alot but it's fun!

No worries Glenn! We returned the majority safe and sound! I was really impressed how nice and chunky those perch were. Bit like a walleye too-not the nip-nip you usually feel. If this is any indication, it WILL be a great perching winter for us all. No panfish report though.

lisa, being that you are going to be at millacs this weekend terrorizing the fish would you let me in on some of your winnie expertise? never fished winnie open water and id like to take my wife there this weekend. i would prabably put the boat in at three birches acess south of highbanks. can you direct me to some fishin spots for eyes? what kind of jigs and bait would be best? id appreciate any help.

glenn, we were actually catching walleyes in about 17 FOW which is actually quite deep this time of year but we weren't getting ANY bites any shallower. We fished around in front of Highbanks Resort most of the day. Bring your drift sock if it's windy. We usually use a 3/16th oz jig with a lot of green/chartreuse on it with a longer shank but I've also heard people having good luck with watermelon colored jigs. Snap-jigging always works for me. Buy some rainbows at Fred's Bait and you'll be good to go!

thanks lisa, the boss confirmed she is willing to go to winnie. she prefers that to bowstring but we (i) plan on hitting both. just found out i recieved my bear licence so i will scope that out also. you mentioned freds bait, do you ever stop at the other on on the east side? freds is never open when i go thru and george has been very good to me.

i agree, the place doesnt smell like roses but he has always been very generius with his bait with me, including spearing decoys. some of his stuff is a bit expensive but i only get biat there. and where else can you get bait on the honor system?

Glenn no question about the quanity of the bait you get, and I like the honor system and have used it a couple of times, but I tell ya some days, it is in and out as fast as I can.

Lisa I do like Freds also. They have a good variety of baits and lures and they give you a good bag of bait, for your money. Freds could stay open a little longer for the late crowd, you know the kind that have to work a full day and then drive 4 hours. Maybe I should move closer.

Y-bait also is starting to do better, and is closer to Winnie.

i would try them also, but they have never been open when i get there. the same goes with the bowstring store, i like them to but sometimes there not open when i need them to be. its all about customer service and goerge does it for me.