• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trolling Battery Problems

Dances with Walleye

Question

Okay... So I've got an older battery for my trolling motor... And while I usually just run with my two newer ones... I head out on a trip to Winnie on Wednesday...

I've heard the old "If your battery is low, fill it with distilled water."

I've never done it before... But I heard it enough times...

So I opened her up... Put in distillied water...

Only I think I might have given it too much water... I set it up to charge. (Out in my storage shed)

For 3 hours it was just fine... Then I just went out to check it right now and I found that she was pouring over... So I took it off the charger...

Anyone have any insights... Is it just a matter that I over-Filled her?

Ultimately I really would like to 3 trolling batteries up there... I can live with 2 if need be...

But is there any intelligent way for me to now get that extra water out of her... Or is this just a sign that this 3+ year old battery is kaput?

Thanks in advance.

8 answers to this question

So how do I reduce the fluid level... Do I just pop the tops and lean it over and dribble a little out?

It's not water any more, now it's battery acid. You need to be careful what you spill / splash it on.

I suggest that you get some baking soda and put a lot of it on some thick pile of newspaper. Put the battery on that and hook it back up to the charger. The stuff that spills out is very acidic but the baking soda will neutralize it. Be very careful if you use the baster idea - you'll ruin any clothing the stuff hits and it won't do anything else it touches any good at all.

If your charger has settings I suggest that you charge with the 2 amp setting. It will boil over less and it actually gives you a better charge.

I suggest that you get some baking soda and put a lot of it on some thick pile of newspaper. Put the battery on that and hook it back up to the charger. The stuff that spills out is very acidic but the baking soda will neutralize it. Be very careful if you use the baster idea - you'll ruin any clothing the stuff hits and it won't do anything else it touches any good at all.

If your charger has settings I suggest that you charge with the 2 amp setting. It will boil over less and it actually gives you a better charge.

I wonder if I could find a glass eye dropper?

My buddy just e-mailed me saying I can borrow his two Gel-Cell batteries... So that at least pulls me out of the "Pain in the butt" problem category for the short term...

Quote:

That really sounds like a dangerous method. Isn't it risky to overheat a battery like that?

Bob

Clean it up and bring it to a battery store. Batteries Plus or something and have them get it to the proper level. Charge it and have them test it.

I thought my battery was fried. No water in one cell or whatever it's called and I left it in my garage all winter not charged. I bring it in and he fills it. Tells me if it gets hot or smells then it's shot. It didn't and he checked it and it's good to go. Saved me 70. It's a small battery store in EP off of 212.