• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Reel Knots

Sandmannd

What knot do you guys use to tie onto your reels? I usually just tie it up with a couple of knots that I don't even know what they are called. I have a new spinning reel that I'm putting vanish on. Also have two line counters that I'm putting lead core on one and power pro on the other. Thought I'd ask so it was good and strong.

Arbor knot. Really simple and won't slide along the reel if you get spooled by some fish and need to start putting line back on.

Two overhand knots before anything is attached to the reel to create something to fill the knot hole, then tie two more overhand knots around the spool, pulling tight until your first two knots slide into the second set. If you don't understand what I'm saying, google it for a diagram.

But then again, the Navyman above knows more about knots than I could know in a lifetime. Either knot should work for ya smile

I'm gonna give that arbor knot a try. Thanks guy. BG I think I was using some form of square knot I beleive. I think I missed that merit badge back in the boy scout days though.

Just to add a bit to the conversation, for lines that slide on a spool like fireline or power pro I have tried using a back to back uni and I have to say this works poorly. If you get low on line and you cast, often the knot will interfear and sometimes get caught enough to stop your cast completely. For that kind of line it works better for me to just put a little electrical tape around the spool before adding line. It digs in nicely instead of sliding.

I strip about 3" of lead out of the line then tie an overhand knot in the line I then tie a slip not. The overhand knot will stop the line end from sliding thru the slip knot. I tie mono onto my spinning reels the same way. The slip knot will tighten around the spool and will not spin. Fireline you need some type of backing asd stated above.

eyewarrior

Another quick question. When you put leadcore or power pro on a line, do you pre load some mono first? I have heard to do this. How much mono do you put on first?

With powerpro or other braids I tie to the reel with mono, leave a few feet of mono and then use a uni to uni to tie the mono to the braid. The mono knot won't slip so you're good to go. If you have a high capacity baitcaster you'd want to put on more mono as it's cheaper than the braid to fill your spool with.