Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jonny_redhorse

"Bluegills on a popper" (pics)

13 posts in this topic

What a great afternoon!...I didn't even hit the water till almost noon but had to take advantage of the calm waters!...grabbed the flyrod and camera (and canoe) and headed to my favorite little bluegill hole....it didn't take long as they were in the shallows and immediately hit my little yellow "Bettes" popper....man can these bluegills fight ! grin...and these aren't those little 5" bluegills!...these are the big "Bulls!".....just a great 3 hours!....All the fish were released to be caught again,takes years to get bluegills this big!.....even came across an eagle by it's nest....nest has been near this lake for over 10 years....

the lake....

Frame_P1030270-2.JPG

Frame_P1030261-1.JPG

one of many I managed to hook into....

Frame_P1030284-1copy.jpg

Frame_P1030283-1copy.jpg

Frame_P1030242-1copy.jpg

Frame_P1030234-1copy.jpg

Holy Moly Jonny. Those are some thick gills man. Want to start a guide service?

Nice shots johnny, I almost went over there tonight with my kayak to take some pictures but I figured with my luck it would rain.

Wow....I love the burnt orange coloring against the gill on their chest. Thanks for sharing.

Nice work Johnny...the eagle is probably wondering "what's up with this guy" he's throwing everything back...lol!

Thanks everyone....yesterday was one of those days where everything was just...well...perfect!....the weather,the bite...it all came together!....I was thinking the same thing Stu,as the eagle watched me release those bluegills grin...I did see that eagle pluck 2 different northern pike out of the waters a few hundred feet from me....I wish I could have captured that on camera!...but...to busy catching gills' grin

Missed this one earlier, jonny. Love those 'gills on a flyrod! Nice shots!

Nice size to those. Great shot of the eagle too.

A great day on the water. That's what summer in MN is all about.

The pics do those huge gills justice. I don't keep many fish but I would have taken some of those home.