• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The versatile spinnerbait....

gspman

Caught a 27" walleye yesterday in 2' of water in clumpy milfoil. Biggest walleye I've ever caught and I wasn't even fishing for them. Who woulda thunk it? Seems like at times the spinnerbait can catch anything. Anybody else catch walleyes on spinnerbaits?

About 20 years ago I was fishing on a lake north of Park Rapids, that was known for it's walleyes and northern pike. I was trolling a safety pin style spinner made by Lindy,with a sucker minnow hooked on it, for northerns.Sure enough, after trolling over a shallow gravel bar, I hooked into a 5 lb. walleye.There was no rubber skirt on this spinner bait, just a colored blade,a colored leadhead and the minnow.The walleye clobbered it. Go figure. It worked for that 'bonus' fish,so that's all that matters,I guess.

Between my dad and myself we have caught maybe ten fishing spinnerbaits. Almost all of them were during the first few weeks of bass season when a few walleyes were still pretty shallow. Most of them have been pretty big too. I know that one of them went a little over 8lbs and it cam out of 2-3 fow on a bright sunny afternoon. I have also caught about anything you can imagine on "bass" spinnerbaits from crappies, sunfish, and northerns to dogfish and goldeneyes.

I caught a walleye on a chartreuse spinner bait in 2 feet of water off my grandpa's dock. It was 95 degrees for the air temp with a heavy algae bloom. Craziest thing was that I had a couple of cousins that were swimming within 5 yards of where I hooked the fish. Pretty cool, but didn't get anymore in that spot on the spinnerbait.

I caught a 25" walleye last summer on Green Lake using a brown/yellow/black spinner bait. One of my neighbors calls it "stupid fishing" because you can catch anything on it. He wont use one if ya pay him! cool

I've caught a walleye on a white spinnerbait and a black/blue chatterbait around weeds and swimming a skirted bas jig with trailer back to boat from wood in river.

Dumb critters.....

Last year my buddy caught a walleye on a white spinnerbait on Gull lake. We were going through a channel that conected two lakes and there were boats everywhere. Funniest part was that it was a "no wake zone" so my buddy was trolling the spinnerbait over about 20' of water.

Also, a group of frinds go up to cananda every year and fish smallmouth but end up cathching about half walleye. They joke that all you need to do is throw a spinnerbait on if it gets slow. That way they can atleast catch a few walleye. Who knew?

I get them on spinnerbaits here and there on the river going for bass. Not too often but a few each year. Zero so far this year, but two in one day last year.:)

I've caught one in 4' of water on a Bomber Magnum Long-A while muskie fishing(~7" long, the bait, not the fish). The walleye was about 16". And those walleye guys think their fish is so much tougher to catch...

Exact same thing, 27" wallie at dusk in the shallow weeds, my biggest. Also have caught another half dozen while pike fishing, (my main pike preferred lure) none that big but in the 18-22ish range.

I caught a 25" walleye last summer on Green Lake using a brown/yellow/black spinner bait. One of my neighbors calls it "stupid fishing" because you can catch anything on it. He wont use one if ya pay him! cool

That's pretty funny, if you think about it. I guess I 'stupid fish' most of the time.Spinnerbaits always go in the boat with me. I caught just about every kind of gamefish, and panfish, on some kind of a safety pin style bait.

I caught a 17" inch walleye on a spinngerbait from shore once. The funny thing is the lake is the biggest dump ever and it is runoff for an entire city. I dont know what that walleye was thinking! confused