• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bowfishing Conversion

Scott M

Just wondering how many guys do double duty by hunting with their bow and then converting it to bowfishing for the summer? I've heard it takes a lot of work and everything has to be resighted. Also, doesn't it take a particular kind of arrow rest and sight?

Sorry if I'm asking a repeat question. I've wanted to try the bowfishing thing but that's really all the more that I want to do-try it. Not really into dropping a bunch of money into something that I wouldn't spend a lot of time doing.

I do....

But I shoot a recurve. grin

Attach the retreaver in the spring, remove it to shoot or hunt. Conversion time, 5 min or less. whistlewhistle

As far as your hunting compound goes... It is a hard conversion to make. sights, rests, it all gets changed. Unless you shoot off a wisker biscut or the shelf. I would just take the sight off. That way you just screw it back on, no need to readjust.

When I first got started I just used my hunting bow (compound) with one of those cheap hand reels and a whisker biscuit. It kind of messes your whisker biscuit though. But now that I have a hunting bow and a bowfishing bow. I put some epoxy on my whisker biscuit of my bowfishing bow so it does not smash it.

You could go the route of buying a cheap recurve for $100-150 and get whatever type reel you want on it and you are good to go.

check out garage sales or go to the pawn shop. if you are going to shoot in a lake, i would get a compound bow. but if you shoot a creek or small river get a recurve. oh and if you decide to shoot at night use a recurve cause your shots are going to be really close.

i just bought my first bow, its a compound that i am planning on using for hunting. i just take off my quiver and attatched the reel to that and just shoot instintivly and dont bother using my sight. aiming takes a little practice but once ya get it down its deadly