Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
boatfixer

Jay Leno

16 posts in this topic

I got this in an e-mail. I don't know if he actually said this but I gotta say I pretty much agree with whoever did.

Jay Leno wrote this; it's the Jay Leno we don't often see....

'The other day I was reading Newsweek magazine and came across some Poll data I found rather hard to believe.. It must be true given the source, right?

The Newsweek poll alleges that 67 percent of Americans are unhappy with the direction the country is headed and 69 percent of the country is unhappy with the performance of the President.

In essence 2/3 of the citizenry just ain't happy and want a change. So being the knuckle dragger I am, I started thinking, 'What are we so unhappy about?''

A.. Is it that we have electricity and running water 24 hours a day, 7 Days a week?

B.. Is our unhappiness the result of having air conditioning in the summer and heating in the winter?

C.. Could it be that 95..4 percent of these unhappy folks have a job?

D. Maybe it is the ability to walk into a grocery store at any time and see more food in moments than Darfur has seen in the last year?

E.. Maybe it is the ability to drive our cars and trucks from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean without having to present identification papers as we move through each state?

F.. Or possibly the hundreds of clean and safe motels we would find along the way that can provide temporary shelter?

G.. I guess having thousands of restaurants with varying cuisine from around the world is just not good enough either.

H. Or could it be that when we wreck our car, emergency workers show up and provide services to help all and even send a helicopter to take you to the hospital.

I.. Perhaps you are one of the 70 percent of Americans who own a home.

J.. You may be upset with knowing that in the unfortunate case of a fire, a group of trained firefighters will appear in moments and use top notch equipment to extinguish the flames, thus saving you, your family, and your belongings.

K.. Or if, while at home watching one of your many flat screen TVs, a burglar or prowler intrudes, an officer equipped with a gun and a bullet-proof vest will come to defend you and your family against attack or loss.

L.. This all in the backdrop of a neighborhood free of bombs or militias raping and pillaging the residents. Neighborhoods where 90% of teenagers own cell phones and computers.

M.. How about the complete religious, social and political freedoms we enjoy that are the envy of everyone in the world?

Maybe that is what has 67% of you folks unhappy.

Fact is, we are the largest group of ungrateful, spoiled brats the world has ever seen. No wonder the world loves the U.S., yet has a great disdain for its citizens. They see us for what we are. The most blessed people in the world who do nothing but complain about what we don't have, and what we hate about the country instead of thanking the good Lord we live here.

I know, I know. What about the president who took us into war and has no plan to get us out? The president who has a measly 31 percent approval rating? Is this the same president who guided the nation in the dark days after 9/11? The president that cut taxes to bring an economy out of recession? Could this be the same guy who has been called every name in the book for succeeding in keeping all the spoiled ungrateful brats safe from terrorist attacks? The commander in chief of an all-volunteer army that is out there defending you and me?

Did you hear how bad the President is on the news or talk show? Did this news affect you so much, make you so unhappy you couldn't take a look around for yourself and see all the good things and be glad? Think about it........are you upset at the President because he actually caused you personal pain OR is it because the 'Media' told you he was failing to kiss your sorry ungrateful behind every day. Make no mistake about it.

The troops in Iraq and Afghanistan have volunteered to serve, and in many cases may have died for your freedom. There is currently no draft in this country. They didn't have to go. They are able to refuse to go and end up with either a ''general'' discharge, an 'other than honorable'' discharge or, worst case scenario, a ''dishonorable'' discharge after a few days in the brig.

So why then the flat-out discontentment in the minds of 69 percent of Americans?

Say what you want but I blame it on the media. If it bleeds it leads and they specialize in bad news. Everybody will watch a car crash with blood and guts.. How many will watch kids selling lemonade at the corner? The media knows this and media outlets are for-profit corporations. They offer what sells, and when criticized, try to defend their actions by 'justifying' them in one way or another. Just ask why they tried to allow a murderer like OJ. Simpson to write a book about how he didn't kill his wife, but if he did he would have done it this way......Insane!

Turn off the TV, burn Newsweek, and use the New York Times for the bottom of your bird cage. Then start being grateful for all we have as country. There is exponentially more good than bad. We are among the most blessed people on Earth and should thank God several times a day, or at least be thankful and appreciative.' 'With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, 'Are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?'

Jay Leno

I think the message is, if you are unhappy, it's your own dam fault.

Thanks for sharing the email Bruce. I quit watching the network news years ago when I got sick and tired of all the depressing (news) stories with there jaded angles on everything and have found that I have a much better attitude about life and what it has to offer. I have to finish my coffee and go out and chase some walleyes now grin

Thats what me and my boys are about to do in awhile, head to Big W chase the eyes.

This was first written by a guy named Craig Smith and published on the WorldNetDaily web site.

Still fun to read and I agree with it 100%

I've seen this before and it always says it's writen by different folks. Doesn't matter who wrote it, I agree with it all the way.

So 2/3 of Americans realize we have a great thing today, and see things taking a turn for the worse in the future.

...unhappy with the direction the country is headed and 69 percent of the country is unhappy with the performance of the President....

just maybe 67% of the citizens realize what we have and are not happy about the fact that we see very little appresiation for it. We see a country of people who demand more, a country of people who believe thay deserve evertyhing they have becasue they are Americans, a country of people who believe money and stuff are the measure of a person.

America is great because we have a constitiution and governement that allows many freedoms. We have a system that may not be perfect but allows and at times encourages people to improve themselves. Some people mistake the freedoms and economic system is there to provide them a way to get rich and do what they want irregardless of consequences. So maybe people are unsatisfied because reality strikes and lets them know that the United States is great because the citizens are willing to work hard and at times sacrifice for the greater good. Ask any miltary person and IMHO I believe they will tell you that America is great because of sacrifice and hard work by soldiers. Working men will add that the hardwork of the citizens make it great too. Parents will tell you it is the sacrifices of mothers and fathers that provide opportunities for children to make this country great.

Or possibly 67% of Americans forgot that things are not handed to us on a silver platter and tough economic times and wars for whatever reason happen. It is the tough and trying times that make us appreciate the greatness that is the United States of America. As the saying goes you do not know what you got until it is gone.

The first part of the email is dead on. We are the luckiest people in the world to have been born and/or live here. Then it comes to this gem:

Quote:
Say what you want but I blame it on the media.

And it just degenerates into a pile of ridiculousness after that. I've said it before so I'll say it again. Anyone who blames the media for everything is either (a) losing an argument or (B) indulging in intellectual laziness. It's the same caliber argument as saying conservatives don't like poor people or liberals want to take your guns. Shorthand in the blame game.

This a "the glass is half full rather than half empty" debate.

This a great country and we are far from being poor. But not everything is rosy either. Look at the stock market, if you are not concerned about the last 8 years you are either one of the lucky ones or you have no money invested. Insurance rates going up at higher rates than inflation, gas is out of this world, the housing market is in the dumps(blame that on both greed of some and stupidity of others).

But we do have great medical care, you may have to pay, but it is the best. Un-employment is pretty low, but some we have lost some of the best blue collar jobs to over seas.

I do think we need to change a few things and I am sure in the next few years it will. Things are not going to run full steam ahead forever, we are going to have some times when things get out of whack and we need to change directions.

So 2/3 of Americans realize we have a great thing today, and see things taking a turn for the worse in the future.

Originally Posted By: boatfixer
...unhappy with the direction the country is headed and 69 percent of the country is unhappy with the performance of the President....

A) Ya, we have electricity and running water. Soon we will have to make the choice between electricity and food.

B) see A, soon we will not be able to pay for the electricity to power the AC.

C)A job that relatively doesn't pay as well as it did in the past.

D)All that food in the grocery store, and all we can afford is the cheapest, unhealthiest food available.

E)Now it cost three times as much to drive coast to coast as a few years ago. So much so that many folks are giving up their vacations.

F)Clean motels? There's an oxymoron.

G)Can't afford to go to a restaurant, so it doesn't really matter what kind of food it carries.

H)And after a big car crash, many underinsured will be in debt for the rest of their lives.

I)Many own a home that is now falling apart, unable to afford maintenance. Forclosures are on a dramatic rise.

J)Ain't got nothing worth saving in a fire, let it burn!

K)The burglar will already have killed me, police will chow down another donut trying to figure out a suspect.

L)90% of those 90% have a 90% chance of talking on that cell phone while driving and crashing their car into mine.

M)The Freedom of Religion is a great thing in America. Yet, many Americans are becoming so disenchanted with the churches that many are giving up religion all together.

Quote:
In essence 2/3 of the citizenry just ain't happy and want a change.

No, many are happy today(well maybe yesterday), but see the future as being very bleak.

And this is why things like the original post was written. crazy

You can't blame it on a pres or polotics. I'm not a fan of the state of the state right now, be we are waaaayyyyy better off the most in the world. Unless you live in the middle east you are getting gouged for gas and that drives the cost of everything.

If you look at the economy of a whole, it goes up and down a regular basis. Yea it's down now, but it will come back up. As far as appreciation on your items, the house went up way to high way to fast and priced people out of the market. It's getting back where it should be. Sucks for a lot of people, but they couldn't keep going up at the rate they were going and you shouldn't expect that. People got themselves in trouble buying more than they could afford and taking out equity to buy toys. Of course this is all govt's fault right?

Max, it isn't all the medias fault, nor is it all GW's fault. They both have their fingerprints on plenty that has gone wrong.

Add to the list of those who are to blame...everyone in congress and the senate. Throw in a few others and you have a list of suspects.

Its not gonna be easy to fix this mess we have today, but it is my sincere hope we can come together as "Americans" and fix it together, not continue the blame game as the problems we face are allowed to spiral out of control. I am not sure how this fight on terror is going to play out, nor the war in Iraq. Problem is, were in it together and we neeed to solve it together, not stand on each side of the isle and point fingers at each other.

Anyone who blames the media for everything is either (a) losing an argument or (B) indulging in intellectual laziness. It's the same caliber argument as saying conservatives don't like poor people or liberals want to take your guns. Shorthand in the blame game.

Thanks for that. I agree 100%.

Blaming the media is a cop-out. I like to think that people are able to think for themselves. Not everyone does. Those are the people that blame the media for everything. Don't blame the media. If you must assign blame (which, granted, a lot of folks like to do), blame the sheep that don't think for themselves.

Originally Posted By: Maximum12
Anyone who blames the media for everything is either (a) losing an argument or (B) indulging in intellectual laziness. It's the same caliber argument as saying conservatives don't like poor people or liberals want to take your guns. Shorthand in the blame game.

Thanks for that. I agree 100%.

Blaming the media is a cop-out. I like to think that people are able to think for themselves. Not everyone does. Those are the people that blame the media for everything. Don't blame the media. If you must assign blame (which, granted, a lot of folks like to do), blame the sheep that don't think for themselves.

Ditto to Husker and Max.

Originally Posted By: boatfixer

A) Ya, we have electricity and running water. Soon we will have to make the choice between electricity and food.

B) see A, soon we will not be able to pay for the electricity to power the AC.

C)A job that relatively doesn't pay as well as it did in the past.

D)All that food in the grocery store, and all we can afford is the cheapest, unhealthiest food available.

E)Now it cost three times as much to drive coast to coast as a few years ago. So much so that many folks are giving up their vacations.

F)Clean motels? There's an oxymoron.

G)Can't afford to go to a restaurant, so it doesn't really matter what kind of food it carries.

H)And after a big car crash, many underinsured will be in debt for the rest of their lives.

I)Many own a home that is now falling apart, unable to afford maintenance. Forclosures are on a dramatic rise.

J)Ain't got nothing worth saving in a fire, let it burn!

K)The burglar will already have killed me, police will chow down another donut trying to figure out a suspect.

L)90% of those 90% have a 90% chance of talking on that cell phone while driving and crashing their car into mine.

M)The Freedom of Religion is a great thing in America. Yet, many Americans are becoming so disenchanted with the churches that many are giving up religion all together.

Quote:
In essence 2/3 of the citizenry just ain't happy and want a change.

No, many are happy today(well maybe yesterday), but see the future as being very bleak.

Letter K is right on the money.

Under letter K people are forgetting we still have an intact second ammendment and thus the right to self defense.

The police will show up eventually to take names.

I think the discontent has a lot to do with the way the president has abused power to achieve his ends. We are a nation of laws, and a democratic republic. When this is undermined people very rightfully get squeamish.

We also want to feel like the sacrifices we are making are going for something worth while. Our soldiers are our nations best, and we do them a disservice to send them into battle needlessly.

The direction our country seems to be going is not congruent with the values and principles of 98% of Americans. We are not as short sighted as t he 24 news cycle, and we don't like the situation that will likely be inherited by our children should we continue the insanity unabated.

Also, from traveling overseas I can certainly tell you that the majority of people in other parts of the world have a great respect and love for American citizens. They loath the actions and unilateral approach our government takes. Jay has it backwards. They get frustrated when we seeming act hypocritically, especially when it undermines our self professed morality.