• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cleaning fish

Iambjm

I was reading in the bass forum and one thread talked about cleaning fish and the smell of the guts in the garbage. So here is a question, what do you do with the guts? I once buried them in my garden in the front of my house only to wake up the next day to skunks digging them up. Right now my method is to take a cheap plastic bag, throw the guts in, then I put them in our spare freezer and freeze them till garbage day. Then toss them in the garbage and let the rubbish man have em.

Fish remains are fantastic fertilizers! I've also had some problems with animals digging them up. I try to dig a little deeper and firmly put the turf back on top. Works probably 90% of the time.

I've got lots of young evergreen trees up north. Usually there is more growth the following spring on the trees that have buried remains vs those without. Plus it gives the feeling that the fish was enjoyed twice; once by my family and once by nature.

Put them in a neighbors mailbox or throw them in the back of a random truck. not really usually go in the trash and then to the dump but if I cant get to the dump for a few days the freezer option works. I have a friend who put some filleted walleye carcasses in the box of his truck intending to dispose of them on the way home from work. At the time he was working down near parkpoint in duluth and when he came out to leave there were tons of seagulls around his truck. They had tore into the bags and scattered stuff all over nearby vehicles and the parking lot.

i bury fish guts at the cabin, and to clean the fish cleaning house we use ammonia so after i throw the dirt on top of the guts i dump some of the soapy- ammonia water over the top, this along with enough dirt usually does the trick.

Just throw em in the garbage...make sure they are on top. Place trash bin in the sun for a few days, when they smell ripe open lid and collect your panfish bait. You'll have more than you know what to do with. By the way, the old lady is not fond of this method. sick

Quote:
At the time he was working down near parkpoint in duluth and when he came out to leave there were tons of seagulls around his truck. They had tore into the bags and scattered stuff all over nearby vehicles and the parking lot.

Now that right there is funny laughcool

When you guys put them in the freezer, does the freezer ever end up smelling from when you first put them in?

Not mine, but I do also double bag them. A neighbor saw 2 wolves killing a deer the other day, so I am not sure if I want to wander out in the woods to dump them. If you ever tried to dig in the soil up here, you would know why I don't bury them deep.