• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My Friend Parker

tori's dad

My black Lab "Parker" was almost 10 when he got a hemangiosarcoma tumor on his left rear leg. I made the hard decision to put him to rest before his leg gave out or before the cancer spread to his chest cavity. The absolute hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life. I got his ashes back from the vet, they were in a box, I placed the box in his favorite spot where he would lay at night,on the cool tile entry. I finally spread half his ashes out today in the back yard. I noticed a red cardinal sitting in a tree above me watching me - cardinals are rare in my neighborhood. I then drove out to our favorite CRP hunting area and put out the rest of the ashes, there is one big Cottonwood tree near the grass field and in that tree was a Cardinal with the most distinct red color, I swear I could see that bird from a mile away. I walked over to the tree and looked at the bird for a while before it flew away. I dont believe in reincarnation but I do believe in Signs - I think I saw a sign from Parker- thanks for listening- Rest in peace Parker

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your buddy. It is a very difficult decision to make. He will be in peace at his favorite places and will always be with you in memory. Perhaps the cardinal was there to say that Parker is fine. Best wishes and prayers go out to you.

"hooks"

I hear you as well... my buddy Jakes ashes are still on "his" chair in the living room until I get a chance to do what I want with them. still hard to walk by the chair!! I miss him dearly. the shotgun won't even make it out of the cabinet this year, except to be lubed up for storage.

Sorry to hear of your loss with Parker. I too, just picked up the ashes of my last buddy I put down. I will wait till I go hunting this fall to lay Chug to rest.

Hold the memories of Parkers short life in your heart and he will never truley leave your side.

Godspeed Parker!

Good Luck!

Ken

Thanks for the kind words, everybody reading this forum can share in my pain one way or another- Labs4me- I read your tribute to Chug- just before I had to make the hard decision- it choked me up but gave me the strenth to do what was required of me as a dog owner. Thanks for the support.

Take care bud...I've had my lab pup for 3 weeks and it would be tough to lose him after that short period of time. I can only imagine after 10 years - something unfortunately I will have to deal with some day.

A dog I had as a child died when I was about 8. We buried her in the tree field. The tree's were about 3 foot tall at the time. Now they are about 20 foot tall but the one tree closest to her burial is about 5 feet taller then the rest. Every time I see that tree it a nice reminder of that life goes after death. Sorry for your loss.

Here is a nice poem someone sent me after the loss of my springer a few years ago.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...