Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jhol

First Damage to new rig.

13 posts in this topic

OK Today I decide to take out the wife for a little panfishing. We go to a local lake and the access is a madd house. I helped a guy load his boat wait our turn and launch the boat. While I am parking the truck/trailer the wife is holding the boat. I get back and she tells me that a little black knobby thingy broke of the side of the boat as she was trying to hold the boat from rubbing against the dock with no bumpers. I look after we get away from the launch and it is the little cover that is on the side of the boat right below the fuel cover. I have a 2005 Lund Pro-V and I think it is the vent for the gas tank. I assume that it is so no water can get back into the vent hole. Now does anybody know where I can get one and also would like to know if it is a do it yourself replacement, or a professional job??

Thanks

I also did this last summer and have had no problems with the broke one. I wonder if a guy can just buy a new one, back out the old one and screw a new one in?

the black vent caps are located in a bad place on lunds older versions and if you run into dock on the side they are in they break off real easy.. and yes you need to replace them so water doesnt get in gas line..they can be found at most marine places and run about 10 bucks apiece for them and while your there i would buy an extra one as i have myself broke of 2 or 3 of these and it is an easy fix usually a needle nose to screw out the broken one and then screw in the new one..you might have to go from the inside of boat to hold in place as you put the new one in...its amazing that these vent caps cant be made of metal and not plastic because once you scrap the dock it will snap off real easy!!

Perko makes a lot of these types of parts and it's possible that's the brand on your boat. Most of the time there are two vents so you should be able to look at a similar one and see if it says Perko on it. Otherwise the obvious solution is head to the Lund dealer.

Where are you located ?

I know that all the other hardware on the boat is PERKO however I do not have any more of these on the boat so I cannot make sure.

Valv I live in Delano.

Last year mine fell off. I went to my dealer and bought a few extra's.

Brian

As others have said - most dealers have them on the shelf. I think there are two different sizes though - so measure before you go in.

marine_man

Thanks everybody for the help. I tried last night to get the old one out and had no luck. It is broke off flush with the hull. Any tricks that you guys have used in the past get the old one out?

Thanks again.

You may need to pull the cover (from the inside of the boat) off to hold onto the hose or pull the entire fitting off.

marine_man

What MM just said. I had to do it last year to my Lund also. The dealer soaks ya for those also so be prepared for the sticker shock!

I read this, went and looked at mine, and it's broken too... I would have never noticed!