Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
castmaster

Custom Topwater Musky Lures

11 posts in this topic

Seeing the pics of B1gfish's custom topwater lures inspired me to post some pics of my own. Let's see some more from other builders.

All baits are turned out of cedar, top quality paint & epoxy topcoat. Stainless steel .062 thru wire shaft with soldered loops. Shaft is also soldered to the main body at both ends to prevent it from spinning on the shaft. Belly hooks have hand formed wire hanger connecting hooks to main shaft so they can't pull out. Baits have hand cut and shaped stainless steel props(the 2 toppers in these pics have old brass musky munk blades on them) & the creepers have hand cut stainless steel wings and brackets, with a soldered pin/sleeve design.

BlueSilverJointedCreeper-1.jpg

RedGoldGlobe-1.jpg

FrogTopperTop-1.jpg

GrayMouseCreeper.jpg

PearlCopperScaleCrawler.jpg

BrownMouseCreeper-1-1.jpg

WOW spectacular lures!!! I like the Red/Gold Globe the best!!! Keep the pics coming!!!

Rebel,

I'll post some pics of a few with pink in them later tonight or tomorrow.

Wow!! Those are some great looking lures. You have a real talent. I would love to add making lures to my list of things to try once, maybe twice if I like it.

I second that bonefish - I screw around in the garage and make a fwe little jerkbaits, but these are quite impressive!! Nice work.

Sweet!!! Oy vey... the temptation... *sigh*... and I just placed a huge order with MTO last sunday... the third one since April... Yep now I got 31 new baits... and the end isnt in the sight yet... oh well...

Definitely sweet pink lures...

Globes2.jpg

These give me a crazy idea. I don't make lures, so I can't try it myself. If you think like an engine where a piston moving up and down can be used to generate rotation, could you use the rotation to generate a right and left motion? IE connect some sort of shaft to the spinner blade, and add a second jointed section that would make a swimming motion?

See this is why I don't make lures, I'd come up with crazy ideas that would force the bait to cost $50 and be so fragile that it'd be destroyed after a 20" pike took it.

Quote:
If you think like an engine where a piston moving up and down can be used to generate rotation, could you use the rotation to generate a right and left motion?

sure it could. but to be honest your right it would get killed quick. or at least too much out of alignment to work right.

but let's say it was done a different way. like nothing attached and just two or three parts hitting each other. then you have a good bait. and it can be easily retuned. happy building. grin

BTW, nice looking lures there castmaster. i like the redhead frog. glass eyes are a nice touch too. wings are hand cut and bent by you or someone else? whoever it was did pretty darn good. don't forget to fish...

B1gF1sh,

I hand cut all the wings & brackets with a snips and then bend and shape them myself. It's a LOT of work!

Nice lures

what company do you get your components from?

Also do you know a good place to get flashabo?