• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Camera search.

I am looking to get my first digital camera and was just hoping for some opinions. I like the Cannon S5 IS, any thoughts on this camera or any others. I have been using disposables for the past few years. I would definately like to upgrade. Thanks.

I like the Canon S3 and S5 cameras. Very versatile and very fast to focus. I love the movie mode with stereo recording and use it a lot at my kids music recitals. But I just read a rumor that the S6 might be announced in June. If so, that means you can get the newest version of the camera, or get the S5 for cheaper as retailers clear their stock.

I had the S2 Is, upgraded to the S5 Is, then to my Rebel. The S5 Is is a great compact camera. You can use it fully automatic, or fully manual. I typically used AV priority when not in full manual mode.

I really enjoy the Supermacro feature on this camera for real up close photos. The other great feature is the rotating flip LCD screen. I find it handy for low light tripod shots.All in all a great camera.

Stereo movie clip are excellent from the S5 IS. And color swapping is another fun artistic tool from the camera menu selection.

The zoom is about 36mm to 432mm. You can purchase the conversion Lens Adapter, # LA-DC58E and the 1.5X Tele-Converter TC-DC58B to get you to 648mm zoom. A 58mm diameter filer works on the conversion lens, a filter such as the circular polarizer would be a great addition.

I really enjoy the Supermacro feature onthis camera for real up close photos.

I'll echo what the other two have said about their experiences with the Canon's. I have the S2 IS, and love the macro and supermacro on it. I just upgraded to a digital Rebel XT, but I still carry my S2 IS in my camera bag.