• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Opener Reports!!!!!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As of right now I m takin a lil breather on boat enjoying the winds... had one muskie took a swipe at propeller lure right at boatside. As I was looking at lure I saw a water startin to gurgling right behind the lure as I m 2 cranks away from startin figure 8. as the muskie took a sideswipe at it. Nearly [PoorWordUsage] after that. Also had one good follow on rad dog its like skirt r tickling muskie's nose till its swam away after one turn of figure 8.

Had an interesting morning. Made it out to the water at Midnight as planned but spent the better part of the night dodging thunder/lightening/rain/hail. Had a couple strikes through out the night, but not much happening. Then as light started to show, contacted the little guy and then found the big guy! We ended up contacting probably 5-6 fish, caught a couple more than these before 8am when we had to get off the water.

MISC019.jpg

Opener.jpg

-JR

How did those clamp on lights work for ya?

Got em, but ended up fixing my boat. Spent the night ripping out and rerunning the wiring to everything and got it done in time. Plan was to sleep from 6pm till 11pm, just had to forfeit that! I'm going to bed now....lol.

Well boys......got out for about 4 hours tonight. Didn't get any slime in the net, but did manage to move 7 fish. One of them blew up on a Topraider, but missed the bait. Had another follow a 10 inch Manta in and followed it around an eight a couple times before she lost interest. Pretty beat up fish from the spawn. Fins were hammered pretty good. Nothing in the net, but still a great night out on the water. Felt good to chuck some real baits again. Be back at again really soon!! smile

Got out early, and my brother had one follow and it stayed with through several figure 8's. Never really bit though. He was using a real big tanden spinnerbait. Nothing for the other two of us, but I switched to a jig and Gulp and caught a few bass smile I'm not into it like you all are wink

We did see one fish caught, and it looked nice. But holy cow were there boats out there. I have never seen a muskie opener like that before with that many people hurling hardware!

My brother went again tonight and got one pike.

good luck to all, we are going again tomorrow morning. I will say this, with a Fig Rig and Curado 300, tossing a muskie lure is not much more effort than my bass stuff, so that will keep me muskie fishing longer!

Jeff, gettin out at midnight for the opener? Crazy bastard! Nice catches!

Thanks Matt, when you coming out? I'm headin out again right now till probably 9AM. Gotta go when you have the chance!

Waconia:

5:30 thru 11:00

Nothing. No follows. No strikes. Water temp of 62°.

Same here was out from about 6:00am thru 10:45am and nothing. Then again from about 5:00pm thru 9:00pm same thing had some sheep head or carp follow a couple times but thats it.

Went out on Tonka yesterday morning from 5:30-10:30 with about 100 other musky anglers smile... you could tell it was opener. My buddy and I managed to move three, but no takers. Two of my follows were on a mag shad rap... one of the fish was pushing 50". My buddy moved one on a lilly tail. Water temps were 59 degrees main lake and 60-61 in the quiet bay where we found fish. Great to be out again!

I managed to make it out to Tonka from shore last night after work. I hit a few of the deeper channels with nothing but a couple pike and bass. At least I got to go for a little while. It was good to throw some "real" hardware again.

i fished calhoun this morning from shore since are boat is getting fixed.I moved one tiger muskie on a dancin raider.I was really surprised to see it was a tiger because i didnt think they ever followed baits but i guess i was wrong.That fish was in the mid 30's.Later on i saw another ski just lazily swimming along.It sure felt good to be out throwin the big baits again

Hit Tonka with the usual armada of boats, both Muskie fishermen and those annoying pleasure boaters who still haven't figured out that lakes are for fishing! ;-)

Anyway, my son, my brother and I hit our various haunts from 5:30AM to 2:30PM. We moved a lot of fish, almost every spot we hit we moved something. Most were in the fun to catch range but we did see two really nice fish. One of them even obliged with a viscous strike right next to the boat. My son had the start of his life when a 46-48 inch fish smashed his lure!

I thought he had a good set and for a short while the fight was on. Unfortunately the battle ended all to soon as as we watched his trophy spit the lure and sink back to the depths. Disappointing but that is Muskie fishing. At least we know where to go looking for him the next time we hit the water. :-)

Hoping to get out to a smaller lake this evening that should have warmer water. Did not do much on top at Tonka but I think I might churn and burn with a Topraider or a prop bait. Like everyone, it sure felt great to be on the water again and feel the thrill that only Muskie fishermen understand. Can't wait to hit the water again. Muskie fever is HIGH! :-)

g

Fished Mantrap all weekend. Caught one 38" Saturday morning. Had about 7 follows, all in the morning. Once the sun came out, we didn't see another fish all day. On the lake again today until 1pm. Had one very nice follow and thats it for today. Can't wait to do it again next weekend.