• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fenwick Techna AV

TrophyEyes

Question

I am getting a Fenwick Techna AV 7' medium light, fast action rod for walleye fishing. Does anyone have any experience with these rods? Do you like that sensitivity? I have actually never held one, but it is a present from my mother-in law and wife for fathers day. They got it as part of a spiff program at my mother-in-laws work and there was a limited selection. I usually have G. Loomis, St. Croix Avids or Shimano's for walleye fishing. How does the Fenwick compare?

14 answers to this question

I have a fenwick HMX medium light. Fewnwick is the brand i prefer over any other. The Techna AV is like twice the price of an hmx so i would think it would be great. But thats coming from someone, who just like you, has never held one.

I've have the 6-6" Techna and really like it. Hard to beat a good Fenwick, but I've been playing around with the St. Croix Avid rods this year and they ain't half bad either. I still like the Techna though and I don't think you'll be disappointed. I'd really like to give the 7 footer a try too.

I like the techna rods. They are super light so you can fish all day and sensitivity is great. The only downside is that they seem to be more fragile then other comparable rods. They can break easily so you have to be more careful with them.

Techna AV rods are the top of the line Fenwick rod. Fenwick has been backing them up with an outstanding warranty too. I've heard folks complain about the rod coating marring easily. They also don't offer any finesse casting rods in the line-up.

I like both Shimano and Pflueger reels. I think the plueger is a better value. However, I'd put a Stradic on it.

LB

4 pieces?!!? It apparently wasn't shipped in a tube. That's a little frustrating.

I believe I have a Symetre reel on my Techna. I like Shimano reels and have them on all my walleye rods, except for a Quantum baitcaster for jiggin.

I have a techna for my steelhead rod and built a St. Croix Avid for my salmon rod. They are both good rods. I also have an HMG for my walleye rod. You will like the techna when it comes in one piece. Fenwick has been very good to me through the years. Every thing I have returned has been replaced without question. In fact they replaced the techna for an older out of stock blank that broke.

They said they would replace it. I was a little confused when it can wrapped in shipping paper. I would have thought they were smarter than that. Oh well, I just hope I have it before next weekend because I am heading up north. I actually think it was shipped from a third party and not Fenwick directly.

I like the techna rods. They are super light so you can fish all day and sensitivity is great. The only downside is that they seem to be more fragile then other comparable rods. They can break easily so you have to be more careful with them.
Are you saying they seem like they would break easily or they do actually break easily. To me if a rod breaks easily, no matter the performance or the waranty, I would'nt want to own one.

If anyone has experiance in one breaking easily let us us know so no one else has to endure this if they so choose

The thinner the blank the more sensitive it will be and also the more fragile it will be, look at Diamondback's, great light sensitive rods but because the blank is thinner it is more sensitive.

Like setterguy said I think, it a combination of the materials that they use and also the super fast action. There is not as much flex in blank, which leads to greater sensitivity. I remember watching some random guy in scheels doing the old test the action and guide line up by pressing the tip of the rod on the floor, and he snaped the rod right off the shelf. They have a lifetime warranty but trust me, you will use it about every 4-5 years with normal use. If you set your tackle bag on it or step on it you will crease the blank, then next time you set the hook-- "snap". I've only had one rod that I've had similar breakage issues, and that is a Gloomis GLX. I'm on my 3rd one.