• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Banjo Minnow

Sandmannd

OK, so I'm home from work today cause of chest pain so I can't do anything but work on my laptop and watch horrible afternoon tv. Anyway, saw a commercial for the Banjo minnow. I remember seeing them years ago when I would be up all night. Anyone ever try any of this stuff that they see on TV? I haven't used any lurs off TV but have tried other stuff. Kinda curious if these these work.

Well I thought if Winkleman endorsed 'em they had to be good huh? hehehehe.

Thanks Gary, no heart attack, thought I was back in Jan and was in the hosp for a few days. After a couple of months of working with the docs it's call chostrocondritus. Basically every joint in my chest is inflamed and flares up at least once a week. It sucks, but what do you do. Pop some pain meds and work from home.

My cousin bought the Banjo Minnow when we were 10 or so. I used them a handful of times and cant remember ever catching anything on them.

Good to hear Sandmannd, I had 1 about 10 years ago, kinda of scary at first, but pretty good since then. Doctor said I had to relax more, so I went fishing. Must have helped.

So it sounds like if your interested in getting a banjo minnow, there is a few here you could get for cheap.

I had an ex GF buy me that before - now you know why she's my ex. J/K - but I did use it and I think I caught a small bass. It's like a fluke bait. But I didn't like the screw in deal and lost a lot of banjo's. Whatever though - it's junk.

I thought it said Fish were genetically programmed to attack the banjo minnow even if they werent hungry

I bought a kit years ago and have landed a couple bass on em, all in all there are more productive lure choices out there

It's just a specialized weedless plastic concept.As you can see the trick is in "working & twitching" the bait which you can do with any quality plastics. It's saavy marketing at it's best, nothing more. The new Gulp bait in the little buckets are better, but I'm not convinced of how much just yet. L2f

Never used them but a guy who stays next door to us every year up at Cass Lake swears by them. He mostly bass fishes and has had his share of 5+ Lb bass over the last 5 years or so. He uses them all the time. I guess if you believe in something and use it they might work. Who knows.

Windy

Years ago I had a kit when I was just a youngster. I thought they worked pretty well as I caught quite a few largemouth and smallmouth bass on them. I didn't rig them up the way they were intended though. I would take the little screw off and just stick the head of the minnow with the hook and have it exposed. Fishing them on the weed edges was pretty fun.

I also had some of the flying lures when they were around years and years ago. I even caught fish on them somehow. I always pitched them under the neighbors dock at my grandpa's place. The pontoon always had a willing bass or two under it.

There are much better lures out there but as gag gifts for fishing buddies, they would make for some laughs. I have some other ideas for stuff like that too.

I use them every year on Lake Vermillion. They work great on the Smallies and Northerns(but so does almost any plastics!). I tried them first just as a goof, but the bass really T off on them.

One of my fishing partners brought these up to Lac Suel one year. The walleyes were biting at a pretty good pace for the three of us. The banjo purchaser decided it was time to out-fish the other two of us, so he tied on his "secret" lure. After steadily catching walleyes with "real" minnows for well over 30 minutes, the banjo finally caught his first one.

So I guess they really do catch fish....even walleyes.....how fast ....you be the judge.

Sad to say we were making fun of a freind that was using it and he outfished us 2 to 1 on smallies. So I broke down and made the purchase it works at times, but far and few between like many lures it has its place and time!

I've used them and have had moderate success, as others have said, there are better choices out there.

With that said, the Banjo frog is the best thing about the kit. I was up near Cotton this weekend, and the banjo frog outfished all the other topwaters we tried.

It is what it is I guess, same as any lure.

I have tried the "bobber with a brain" and it does work as a bobber but not very well. It is 8 inches long and heavy so you need a sturdy rod just to toss it. I tied it with a drop shot rig and it became a hassle all around. People I know from MN love making fun of big bobbers so it gets a good laugh at times.