• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Flattin' in weather (pics)

crazyice

Well, Tyler and I decided to gamble on the weather with all the calls for flash floods, lightning, heavy rain, and hail. Our gamble paid off well, it wasn't like the fish were jumping in the boat, but we did manage three nice flats, and one decent channel. Hanson, thanks again for the advice on what to look for! Without the generous help of some of you more veteraned river guys, last night would have been a no go for sure. We made it up to the river around 8:30, boat was wet within minutes, and up and fishing by 8:45, plenty early as it was still daylight out. Tyler seemed to have the lucky bullheads last night right out of the gates, as he had two hit before dark even, but at 10:00 the home run swing finally connected on this nice 18 lb 3 oz flattie, his first of the year.

ty_flatheaed_34.5x21_18.3_1.jpg

After a couple more swings and misses, it seemed like I would never get in on the action, until I happened to be on my knees with the spot light looking for gar, as we had seen a couple in the area using the back of our boat as a current break/seam, hunting for food, when my rod which was directly above my head gets a slam! At 11:30 I set the hook into what I thought was a snag, because the fish ran for a bit before I got the rod in my hands, but no snag here, this was a nice fish for sure! After a couple minute battle with the ever increasing current, and an almost missed net job wink we put flat #2 of the night in the boat, she was a beauty! 28lbs 14 oz and 38" x 25" a nice little "enhancement" for my KOTC score.

andy_38x25_29_5.jpg

andy_38x25_29_1.jpg

At this point, we knew that the trip was well worth the risk of having to call it early, or not be able to fish at all, this was paying dividends that were great! At this point there was some possible weather issues heading our way, but both Tyler and I had our phones with, and we could keep a close eye on the radar, and it looked like it was going to skirt us to the east, so we doned the rain gear for a few minutes and toughed it out, well it turned out that we just caught a glancing blow, as we barely got wet, but we figured that maybe the fising would just get better, well at 1:15 Tyler managed to set the hook into another decent fish, this one going 16 lbs 3 oz with measurements of 32.5 x 20.5 another decent addition to his KOTC score.

ty_flathead_32.5x20.5_16.7_5.jpg

After that fish, we checked the radar again at about 2:00, and saw our worst fears unfolding, a huge mass of yellow, and red heading right for us. We knew that this batch was the deal breaker for sure, we would stick it out until we didn't feel comfortable being there, well at 2:30 one more nice hit and connection for Tyler resulted in this respectable, but non score enhancing channel cat of 26". We didn't do to much for measurements or weights on this fish, cause just as we were landing it, the wind went from a light breeze to dang near gale force! We knew that our time had expired, so a quick couple of photos, and we were out of there, got the boat loaded just in time before the skies light up and the rain poured down.

ty_channel_26_1.jpg

I am really glad that we decided to make this trip to say the least!

Actually, I do have to mention one other thing, we were called "nuts" by atleast 4 people! One who shall remain nameless for now wink actually said, "You guys are nuts!" *insert long pause* "Got room for third person? Let me check with my wife first though!" You know who you are!!

Good Post crazy.

It's funny. Both my flathead came when I was wearing my rain coat. I'll bet I only had that coat on for 20 minutes all night long.

Took me a few whiffs to get back in the saddle, but it felt good to hookup. Current was cruising too.

Good post Crazy!

Gets a dude pumped for the weekend!

A couple weeks back, I bailed early on a trip due to weather and others stayed out. I wish I would have stayed!

Well I have to say that I have caught some nice fish during some pretty nasty weather over the years.......and I did come REALLY close to jumping in with you guys last night. The wife was hung up at work and didn't get home until after midnight.....but if it weren't for that, I would have been there.

Nice fish guys.

I'll be out somewhere soon.

Speaking of weather.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the fish will be on a good bite tonight!

Get to the spot you want to fish early, if you don't you might find me there winkgrin

Well I have to say that I have caught some nice fish during some pretty nasty weather over the years.......and I did come REALLY close to jumping in with you guys last night. The wife was hung up at work and didn't get home until after midnight.....but if it weren't for that, I would have been there.

Nice fish guys.

I'll be out somewhere soon.

My boat always has an open seat for a fella guru. Good Luck tonight fellas.

Diddo from me, I will be out of cattin' commission for a week now, family vacation in park rapids for a week, but I have been thinking that park rapids is darn near to the rainy river where there have been known to reside some nice sturgeon....hmmmm

Darren..........let's play nice now!!!

How do you know where I am going. Could you tell from the KOTC pictures??

I will have to black out the background a little better next time.

No worries, MY other spots will produce tonight too.

cry

I can't believe you would try to take one of my spots tonight. There is no way anyone would even think about fishing those spots unless I told them, showed them, or they saw the pictures......I mean none of those spots look like they would hold any fish.

It's MY river.......all of it!!!

OK guys... settle down. wink

Just make sure you sign in at the "Fishing Spot" sign-in sheets that I've recently posted at the ramps. The spots on the sheet coordinate with large, numbered signs at each of the good fishing spots on the river. I've even located the signs on steel posts such that you can tie your bow line right off to them. If you want to, you can show up early in the day and "sign-in" on the sheet to reserve your spot for later in the evening. First come, first serve basis. Lets keep it honest and fun, eh? LOl! grin

OK guys... settle down. wink

Just make sure you sign in at the "Fishing Spot" sign-in sheets that I've recently posted at the ramps. The spots on the sheet coordinate with large, numbered signs at each of the good fishing spots on the river. I've even located the signs on steel posts such that you can tie your bow line right off to them. If you want to, you can show up early in the day and "sign-in" on the sheet to reserve your spot for later in the evening. First come, first serve basis. Lets keep it honest and fun, eh? LOl! grin

Do you have a spare copy of your "hot spots" that you put up on these posts so I can study where I want to go tonight? grin

Actually not a bad idea smile

There's only one problem. If you've already done this, then the "really" good spots aren't available for reservations since you haven't been to them yet.

Well neither have I, but who's keeping track grin

Lets keep it honest and fun, eh? LOl! grin

Sure, when you get to a spot and I'm already there, I'll honestly tell you to move along....nothing to see here grin

Originally Posted By: hanson
Lets keep it honest and fun, eh? LOl! grin

Sure, when you get to a spot and I'm already there, I'll honestly tell you to move along....nothing to see here grin

I've seen people accomplish this with the use of only one finger.

Well I know of one River boat that is usually supplied with needed weapony and ammo whistle

and another one that is cabable of putting a spud into the side of your boat at about 300ft!

Our boats are gonna start lookn Mad-Max-ish. wink

I can see it now... Big battering rams like the vikings. Special jets to launch us over the floaters and dead heads.

submarine attachments and sonar activated mines...

All you guys better stay the E'LL out of my spot. From 35 to shakopee is all MINE!!!! IF I see you your getting rammed....And will be forced to take a bump of Jerries..... whistle

Shamu is breaking out the party barge and I'm bringing Rory for back up.......