• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What brand of flourocarbon

eyewarrior

Question

I used 6# trilene flourocarbon when it 1st came out. I wasn't very impressed with knot strength. I couldn't get a good knot tying either a polamar or a trilene knot. I haven't wanted to spend the money to see if its any better now!

What brand have FMers found to work well? Is Trilene flouro any better now?

Looking for opinions on flouro not advice on how to tie knots. I know my knot tying isn't the problem I can get good knots on Trilene XL, XT, and Fireline.

eyewarrior

4 answers to this question

I have been useing Vanish flourocarbon ( 15&17# test) and have good luck with it. Knot strenth has been fine. When you fish in the trees like we do down here, you need good knots & line abrasion is good to. laugh

I use Vanish yet, and initially had big problems with knots. I wasn't lubing them enough. When I use it now, I am very, very careful to slather it up with spit before tightening anything up. I "proof" it by pulling on it before using. I still get a weak knot now and then, and I just use more spit on the next one.

I use an improved clinch knot, and have been trying the palomar lately as well. Otherwise I use improved clinch on mono/fluoro, and the palomar on braid.

I am not a fan of using flouro for my main line, just too many line management issues. I've tried quite a few and I just prefer trilene XL on my reels. But for leaders I love P-line CFX leader material. It is tough as nails. I think they only sell it in smaller spools because it's way to stiff to go on your reel. But it works wonders as a leader. Very tough, abrasion resistant, and great knot strength. Works great for walleye fishing in pike waters. My .02 worth.