Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishorgolf

survey

19 posts in this topic

I know we have both conservatives and liberals on this forum so I thought this is a perfect place to ask this question. How much money do you give a year to charitable causes?

Please identify if you are right or left when you respond.

Moderate...The union gives away my money (I mean dues) to the DFL party. Personally neither worthless parties need any of my money.

Moderate(depends on the issue), probably give a couple hundred $$ to various charitable causes yearly.

I don’t feel comfortable revealing to anyone how much I give, except to my tax accountant. This is because it is a very personal thing for me for a number of reasons.

First, it opens the door for others to pass judgment.

Second, it opens the door for others to feel judged by me.

Third, it opens the door to the potential for boasting both on my part or others.

Forth, it opens the door to the potential for self pride similar to my third reason.

Fifth, it opens the door to make comparisons.

Sixth, it begs to ask, “What is a charitable cause?” What I consider to be charitable may not be what others consider to be charitable. For example, I feel for a cause to be charitable requires that it provides a service to others in need for health purposes or spiritual growth. There are many tax exempt organizations however not all of them meet my definition of charitable. I am also particular about the percentage of intake that is actually used for the service provided rather than just lining the pockets of those in the organization. Any organization that doesn’t apply more than 85% toward their cause is too top heavy in my opinion and not truly being charitable.

All I will say is that I do give regularly or at least I’ll try. How much I give varies and I have never actually calculated it in terms of a percentage of my income.

As far as right or left, I don’t know. I don’t align myself with political parties in particular as I vote for the candidate and not the party he/she represents. Based on my past voting record I can say that I generally split somewhere down the middle but with a lean toward the republican ideal. With that said, if I rate myself in terms of these two parties then I would say I am either conservative democrat or liberal republican.

Bob

Bob T summed it up great for me. It's not something I like to reveal. I go with who I think is best when I go to the voting booth. Just so happens most are on the right. I do like some views of the left, but when 50% of my check is already gone before I see it, I just can't vote them in and loose more money.

I don’t feel comfortable revealing to anyone how much I give, except to my tax accountant. This is because it is a very personal thing for me for a number of reasons.

Third, it opens the door to the potential for boasting both on my part or others.

Forth, it opens the door to the potential for self pride similar to my third reason.

Sixth, it begs to ask, “What is a charitable cause?” What I consider to be charitable may not be what others consider to be charitable. For example, I feel for a cause to be charitable requires that it provides a service to others in need for health purposes or spiritual growth. There are many tax exempt organizations however not all of them meet my definition of charitable. I am also particular about the percentage of intake that is actually used for the service provided rather than just lining the pockets of those in the organization. Any organization that doesn’t apply more than 85% toward their cause is too top heavy in my opinion and not truly being charitable.

All I will say is that I do give regularly or at least I’ll try. How much I give varies and I have never actually calculated it in terms of a percentage of my income.

As far as right or left, I don’t know. I don’t align myself with political parties in particular as I vote for the candidate and not the party he/she represents. Based on my past voting record I can say that I generally split somewhere down the middle but with a lean toward the republican ideal. With that said, if I rate myself in terms of these two parties then I would say I am either conservative democrat or liberal republican.

Bob

Couldn't have said it better! Not to mention its nobody elses business.

I know we have both conservatives and liberals on this forum so I thought this is a perfect place to ask this question. How much money do you give a year to charitable causes?

Please identify if you are right or left when you respond.

I like how F&G asks a question, but does not start off with an answer from him on his own question.grin

I will say this... I am an Independent with a conservative fiscal viewpoint. I give (from last year) about 12% of my income to various charities; I also give about half of my salary to the County, State and Federal governments through taxes which, in turn, give my money to other charities (non-profits and welfare).

If I could find someway to figure out how much of my taxes go towards charities and welfare I would try to write them off.

Originally Posted By: BobT

Bob

Couldn't have said it better! Not to mention its nobody elses business.

count me in. thats kind of a private matter. its like asking whats you wife like in the sack

as far as political leanings, i came from a family of reagan democrats, voted for Reagan in 80 and 84 became a repub leaning indie over time, did vote for clinton(only democrat for prez i did) in 1996, and sat out 2000 and 2004 because of GWB and what the repubs were becoming. will probably vote for McCain this year, reluctantly, with obama on the other side even though he's a weinie himself.

I agree my question was to personal and not asked very well it was late at night for me.

With clearer head this am what I was trying to ask was how important do you believe giving to charities (I will include helping someone out on a personal level to this) of your own personal money is important or are you of the mind "I pay my taxes so the gov. should take care this?" The reason I asked a persons political leaning is because in my profesional and personal life I find conservatives to be much more willing to give to others (besides taxes) than my liberal brothers do. I am not passing judgment only offering my opinion.

As for me SB. I am of the belief that we should all be personally involved in helping others and not rely on the gov. for this. Yes there are things that only the gov. can do but so much would be betters served by people being personally involved. Do I personally do as much as I think I should? No. But am trying.

Agreed. As a small business owner in a small town, we get hit up every time we turn around for this and that. My thoughts are though that the money we've donated hasn't been nearly as valuable as the time donated to activities such as Lion's club benefits, 4-H & FFA, as well as various mentoring and teaching opportunities. One old gentleman in town here probably said it best when he told his grandkids, "I don't have a lot of money to give you but I can give you my time."

Is time donated helping others the same as money donated? How many buy poppies from the VFW? Throw money in the firemans boots when they are raising funds etc...So many ways to help charities.

I would probably give more if the politicians hadn't already mandated I must pay for programs that I do not see as charities, many programs where I do not get to decide who gets my money.

The thing I find most humorous is when some clebrity shows up and then claims he/she is doing so much to help. Take a guy like oh, George Cloony. Do you think he could afford to donate a million bucks? But wants you to believe 2 hours of his time is "leading the cause" whatever it may be. The way I see it, those who are ridiculously wealthy should help with their checkbook. Let those of us with calluses on our hands donate our time.

I firmly believe that local charites...from your local chapter of Habitat for Humanity to your local food pantry...can do more with a dollar to help those in need than the government can do with three times as much money.

I vote that way, and as such, figure I'd better walk that talk, so I donate regularly to local charitable causes of the sort. I also believe that the more local the charity, the more efficient it is. And as has been mentioned, donating your time is also often as helpful and effective as donating money.

I don't have much money to spare for charities, unfortunately. And what I do I generally do here in town for local groups. Mostly, I donate fine art prints for local charities to use as door prizes at fund-raising events and as items at charity auctions.

I know, it's not the same, but it's what I can do now, so I do it.

Politically, I lean to the left socially and to the right fiscally. I've voted for both Dems and Reps, as well as independents, and no doubt will again. An individual candidate's stand on things, as well as their character, interest me a lot more than party drivel.

I agree my question was to personal and not asked very well it was late at night for me.

With clearer head this am what I was trying to ask was how important do you believe giving to charities (I will include helping someone out on a personal level to this) of your own personal money is important or are you of the mind "I pay my taxes so the gov. should take care this?" The reason I asked a persons political leaning is because in my profesional and personal life I find conservatives to be much more willing to give to others (besides taxes) than my liberal brothers do. I am not passing judgment only offering my opinion.

As for me SB. I am of the belief that we should all be personally involved in helping others and not rely on the gov. for this. Yes there are things that only the gov. can do but so much would be betters served by people being personally involved. Do I personally do as much as I think I should? No. But am trying.

Fishorgolf

Your hunch is correct. I believe there have been studies or surveys finding conservatives give more to charitable organizations. That is not surprising since conservatives in general (yes I am generalizing, please no one take offense) tend to be more religous where charitable giving is strongly encouraged.

I'll consider myself moderately independant.

Yes, I donate and like others, I'm far from wealthy. Actually, I'm dirt poor. The best donation I can give is myself. I'm a very active member of our local fire department and American Legion. I donate money and a little time to various veteran groups, special olympics, and other charities.

Oh yeah, I'm also a rather large donater to the Avoca municipal bar.

I donate nothing. Except for the 30% taken out of my check to be distributed among various unneeded programs.

Obviously very conservative.