Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
reelemin

any doubters left

275 posts in this topic

By Randall Mikkelsen

Thu Jun 5, 1:23 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President George W. Bush and his top policymakers misstated Saddam Hussein's links to terrorism and ignored doubts among intelligence agencies about Iraq's arms programs as they made a case for war, the Senate intelligence committee reported on Thursday.

ADVERTISEMENT

The report shows an administration that "led the nation to war on false premises," said the committee's Democratic Chairman, Sen. John Rockefeller of West Virginia. Several Republicans on the committee protested its findings as a "partisan exercise."

The committee studied major speeches by Bush, Vice President Dick Cheney and other officials in advance of the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq in March 2003, and compared key assertions with intelligence available at the time.

Statements that Iraq had a partnership with al Qaeda were wrong and unsupported by intelligence, the report said.

It said that Bush's and Cheney's assertions that Saddam was prepared to arm terrorist groups with weapons of mass destruction for attacks on the United States contradicted available intelligence.

Such assertions had a strong resonance with a U.S. public, still reeling after al Qaeda's September 11, 2001, attacks on the United States. Polls showed that many Americans believed Iraq played a role in the attacks, even long after Bush acknowledged in September 2003 that there was no evidence Saddam was involved.

The report also said administration prewar statements on Iraq's weapons programs were backed up in most cases by available U.S. intelligence, but officials failed to reflect internal debate over those findings, which proved wrong.

I believe the administration overstated its case and misrepresented facts.

But those who doubt that those lies really happened can easily look at the committee, led by Democrats, and dismiss the findings as just another feint and jab in the ongoing fistfight between the two major parties. While I believe the substance of the report is true, it wouldn't be the first time one party used its power to try to make the other look bad.

Especially in an election year.

Let's see if I've got this straight.

Senators were given access to the same information the Administration relied on. Those same senators then voted to authorize hostilities.

Now the very same senators are finding fault with their own decisions, and busily blaming the other party.

This couldn't possibly be an election year - could it?

The "Bush Lied" mantra is simply silly. Pathetic. Go back and take a look at the speeches and statements of Pres. Clinton - candidates such as Gore and Lieberman and Kerry and Edwards. They all were singing from the sang hymnal when it came to Saddam. No exceptions. President Clinton was warning about Saddam and WMD's loooooong before GWB took the oath of office.

Did he lie too?

I do believe Bush lied, but that doesn't make him special. Nearly every one of the politicians in Washington, regardless of party, and most of them in statehouses around the country, will lie in whatever way they think they need to. And then during an election year they'll lie about their lies.

I'm not being cynical. I really believe that.

I just wanted to add another thing since people like to bash Bush and the war.

How quickly people forget 9/11 and the days that followed. Do you remember after the dust settled in NYC that people went from sadness to blood thirsty? Everyone wanted us to go after whoever did this and take care of business....an eye for an eye type of deal you could say. Don't even try to to deny it, the public was ticked off that this happened on our soil. So, off we went and everyone seemed to have felt some sort of retribution for what occurred, but then some of our soldiers started losing their lives (as if the public thought that by going after the bad guys this wouldn't happen) and all of a sudden it's Bush's fault and we need to get out of Iraq, etc.

Funny how people's attitudes change when reality comes knocking, and instead of owning up to the fact that the government basically did what they wanted and there were associated consequences, they started backtracking and blaming the govt. Apparently the public in these times don't understand that it's not a video game and you just "start over" when someone dies. It's war and it's inevitably going to happen. You can't have it both ways folks.

I'm not saying I support what happened nor am I saying that I was against it, because I think there are more facts and events that any one of us will ever know about to draw a conclusion of whether it was right or not. But I do know that I'm really tired of the naysayers who sometimes forget to look in the rear-view mirror on what they were saying seven years ago. This goes for the public and politicians alike, as there were politicians on both sides that authorized the war and are now back peddling faster than you can imagine because they are afraid of not being re-elected due to how fashionable it is to be anti-war and anti-Bush in this country right now. It's the popular thing to do because the public has been dumbed-down so much at this point that they just follow the rest of the sheep or do what the media tells them.

Either way, thanks to all that served and followed through with what they knew might happen when they signed up.usa.gif

Unless we are prepared to file charges (impeach) then why are we trying so hard to show malice? Everyone in Congress, save a very select few, were in the same boat at the same time. If we are going to continue to blame the president we should include most of Congress, his cabinet, and advisors as well.

We are so busy with this that we have neglected everything else of importance and I believe this is partly why our economy is in the present state. If there's guilt there, then so be it and press charges otherwise I say get off the potty and move on with dealing with things today. Either case, we have to do that anyway.

Bob

Such a bleak outlook Steve!

I think we all must admit that this election cycle has been nothing if not entertaining. Now that the Obama/Billary slugfest is over, we can look forward to the McCain/Obama sequel.

Meanwhile, we all suffer with high gas prices, shaky credit markets, and the impending Ice Age.

I think its time to plan a fishing trip.

while i believe the actual threat of Iraq thing was overstated, i dont believe the WMD thing was totally made up. I do remember the clinton admin making the same case. Maybe we will all need to"get educated" now. rofl

The opposition using any trick in an election cycle??? the outrage

so let me get this straight. i am supposed to put stock in a report done by the opposition in an election year.ROFLMAO

Such a bleak outlook Steve!

I think we all must admit that this election cycle has been nothing if not entertaining. Now that the Obama/Billary slugfest is over, we can look forward to the McCain/Obama sequel.

Meanwhile, we all suffer with high gas prices, shaky credit markets, and the impending Ice Age.

I think its time to plan a fishing trip.

I just wanted to add another thing since people like to bash Bush and the war.

How quickly people forget 9/11 and the days that followed. Do you remember after the dust settled in NYC that people went from sadness to blood thirsty? Everyone wanted us to go after whoever did this and take care of business....an eye for an eye type of deal you could say. Don't even try to to deny it, the public was ticked off that this happened on our soil. So, off we went and everyone seemed to have felt some sort of retribution for what occurred, but then some of our soldiers started losing their lives (as if the public thought that by going after the bad guys this wouldn't happen) and all of a sudden it's Bush's fault and we need to get out of Iraq, etc.

Funny how people's attitudes change when reality comes knocking, and instead of owning up to the fact that the government basically did what they wanted and there were associated consequences, they started backtracking and blaming the govt. Apparently the public in these times don't understand that it's not a video game and you just "start over" when someone dies. It's war and it's inevitably going to happen. You can't have it both ways folks.

I'm not saying I support what happened nor am I saying that I was against it, because I think there are more facts and events that any one of us will ever know about to draw a conclusion of whether it was right or not. But I do know that I'm really tired of the naysayers who sometimes forget to look in the rear-view mirror on what they were saying seven years ago. This goes for the public and politicians alike, as there were politicians on both sides that authorized the war and are now back peddling faster than you can imagine because they are afraid of not being re-elected due to how fashionable it is to be anti-war and anti-Bush in this country right now. It's the popular thing to do because the public has been dumbed-down so much at this point that they just follow the rest of the sheep or do what the media tells them.

Either way, thanks to all that served and followed through with what they knew might happen when they signed up.usa.gif

Do you not know how to read - Iraq had NOTHING to do with 911.!!!!! Bomb the heck out of Afganistan, that is where it came from !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're absolutely, positively sure of that?

And yes, I know how to read. I don't believe insults are necessary just because someone disagrees with your thinking.

Do you not know how to read - Iraq had NOTHING to do with 911

Geez, Tami, nothing like lighting a match and tossing it into a puddle of gasoline. Stand back, everyone!

just want to give you guys the latest reports, since I've been accussed of not reading "the reports".

You're absolutely, positively sure of that?

And yes, I know how to read. I don't believe insults are necessary just because someone disagrees with your thinking.

not just my thinking but 72% of the population and- a - ohh yea - congress.

The same Congress that has a lower approval rating than the President himself? Interesting....

while i believe the actual threat of Iraq thing was overexgarrated, i dont believe the WMD thing was totally made up. I do remember the clinton admin making the same case. Maybe we will all need to"get educated" now. rofl

The opposition using any trick in an election cycle??? the outrage

so let me get this straight. i am supposed to put stock in a report done by the opposition in an election year.ROFLMAO

one of MANY reports.

The same Congress that has a lower approval rating than the President himself? Interesting....

they still believe Iraq was wrong

many non-partisan reports I'm sure.

YES

I've listed them before.

Originally Posted By: LMITOUT

That is so not true.

75-80% of the public would disagree with you.

Originally Posted By: reelemin

That is so not true.

70-75% of the public would disagree with you.

I've changed that post, - I miss spoke

just want to give you guys the latest reports, since I've been accussed of not reading "the reports".

Thanks for the report, but then let people comment on it freely with their own opinions whether they agree or disagree with you.

The title of the thread really doesn't help much either, as if this report is the end-all to the entire issue. smirk

they still believe Iraq was wrong

Yeah, well, a lot of them would believe the moon is made of cheese if the media pushed that fallacy hard enough too.