• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Minn Kota Maxxum

Hoovey

Question

I was looking for feedback from anyone who has used the Minn Kota Maxxum foot controlled trolling motor. I have decided to give my auto pilot the boot due to lack of durability and the screwing around it takes to put the thing in the water. I fish mostly big water and need something that can handle a modest beating from the waves. Does anybody have anything (good or bad) to say about these motors? Any other bow mount motor brands to recommend?

2 answers to this question

The Maxxum is an excellent choice. The 74 pound with 60" shaft will suit just about any need in terms of walleye fishing. Plenty of power and they won't suck down a full battery charge in a day. One small negative is that you have to keep your foot on the control in rough water to keep it on the course you want.

I've got a hand control that I find to work very well while walleye fishing in heavy wind. If I'm bass fishing I would prefer to have the foot control.