• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I have sand for soil! Help

Moe Szyslak

Currently my lawn does not hold up to any sort of heat or sun, it dries out fast. My house was built on a fill lot. If I cut a piece of grass out and lift it up sand falls right off of it, no black dirt.

Is there a good way to correct this without tearing up lawn and re-sodding? Can I just lay black dirt over it in thin layers and let it build up?

I would guess spreading some dirt would help. I had your same situation when we bought our house in 2000. We live in SW Anoka county and it's like a beach under our sod. I moved sprinklers constantly the first summer (I think it topped 100F a few times that year!).

I installed a sprinkler system that fall. No way around this if you want a yard that isn't 30-50% weeds. Watering in the early morning is way more efficient than the late afternoon evening I did the first year.

Also use your mower in the mulch mode. You will keep more moisture in that way and over 4 or 5 years will start to get some decent soil underneath. Move your mower up to the highest or 2nd highest setting as the taller grass keeps direct sunlight off the soil for most of the day.

Don't get discouraged. You can grow some great looking grass on sand, it just takes more watering.

I would just spread a thin layer of black dirt over the top every few weeks. Your lawn will grow through a thin layer. Just keep adding about an 1" every few weeks. As soon as the lawn comes most of the way through leave it a week then add another 1".

Thanks for all suggestions. I plan to install a sprinkler system in the next two years but it will not be from the city supply. Probably a sandpoint well.

The yard is not that big and its only in the front of the house. I'd say 5000 sq feet total area we are talking here. Direct sun almost all day.

As far as adding topsoil over the grass, whats the best method for this. I have tried this a little in one area but I always seem to get dirt with 1 inch + in size clumps. What soil to get(pulverized and screeened)? How to apply(would a spreader work)?

Spred 4-6" of Good black drit and then put in your sprinkler system then seed or sod. If you seed do it in the fall and put down a starter fertilizer first and then seed and cover with hay, then roll it and keep it wet. you will look like a golf course. in the spring.

My Nieghbor had a couple loads hauled in already this year. Looks like he is doing it with a wheel barrow and a garden rake. Every couple weeks he gets a load and spreads it thin then the grass grows through. If you get it on to thick it may kill the grass.