• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

AKC Confirmation Show in West Fargo last weekend.

I wanted to play with my 100-400 in a indoor setting without a flash and see how I would do. The lense is not fast enough for low light without cranking the iso which I try and not do but sometime you just have to. There were 1100+ dogs at the show from all over the country. My friends new Golden Retreiver took 2nd place in his division. Not bad for his first show. Anyway here are some pics taken handheld with my 100-400 L on my Canon XTI

Oh and for those of you that are wondering what a confirmation show is, it is pretty much a beauty pagent for dogs. Similar to the West Minster Dog show you see on TV. NO obediance or agilty or field, just looking pretty. They are judged in each breed by a single judge who checks them for things like coat, stance, teeth, color, length, etc. A lot of very expensive dogs running around.

AKC-Confirmation-Show.jpg

This-is-for-the-dogs.jpg

for-the-dogs.jpg

Nice shots, Paul. Not an easy task shooting with no flash indoors with the 100-400.

That third images is oh-so-close, too. A single stop faster on the shutter speed and the dog's face would have been sharp with everything else blurred with motion.

Good stuff with that lens in those conditions. Why are there always limitations to everything? gringrin

I think you did a good job pushing it to the limit and it may come in handy some time in the future if a shot pops up somewhere unexpected in bad light, you have a little experiance to fall back on, to rush some of the settings.