• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shimano Reels

panhead

Question

Anyone else lose the drags on their shimano reels? I lost the drag on both my 2500 model this spring. One was purchased new last fall while on a trip in Grand Marais, Mn.and used for the first time this spring.I took them apart and tried to cleen the disc inside but it didnt help. The older reel stored in cold garage over the winter also failed. 1500 model I have which were stored the in the garage were fine. Any thoughts. Shimano HSOforum is under construction. Thanks

16 answers to this question

Ken, that's what happens when you catch those big hogs out of EB. grin I've had very good luck with my Stratics. Just curious, what line where you using? There's an email coming your way by tomorrow.

panhead...

Are you sure the drag is gone? Is it possible the line is spinning freely on the spool? I know this can be a problem on baitcasters while using braided lines, are you using a superbraid line?

Never heard of this happening before. Are you sure you have the little star washer on the spindle seated down all the way, and the spool seated down all the way on the star washer, so the drag can tighten up properly?

are you backing the drag down when not used during the winter?.. I have heard of reels when the drag is cranked all the way down and never relieved that the drag washers can warp.. how tight do you have the drag?.. maybe the drag just needs to be cleaned?

Had the same problem on a Sahara. Also had one of their poles break on me in the same year, so I don't use Shimano anymore.

There are lots of good options out there and I have been extremely happy with my Pflueger's so far.

Good Luck,

CJH

One of the things Shimano recommends on their HSOforum is to clean and regrease the drag system on the reel. They have a drag specific grease that is available through their customer service department. There are some generic drag greases out there that will probably work equally as well. Another thing, like Deitz said, if you don't back them off when in storage for long periods of time the washer can warp.

I've never heard of losing the drag unless it's been improperly lubricated like oiling your brakes becuase they're squeeking.

You can burn the drag out and cause excessive wear and then it's shot.

You can strip the thread for the drag knob and then it's shot as well.

If your spool is truning your line is slipping on the spool. It is very common when using braided lines. Either tape the spool before putting the line on or use mono backing on the spool first.

Im a big fan of the Shimano Spirex or reels having their quick fire trigger. I like the simplicity of not having to manually overturn the reel just to cast.

But i've been finding that my last few reels over the years don't over turn or flip back to its spinning position because the lever inside that flips the reel back to the spinning position wears out the plastic part inside of the reel that it touches. I've had to dissasemble the reels and glue on a small thin aluminum or metal plate over the plastic for it to retract or overturn to the spinning position.

Im not sure if you guys understand what im talking about or in a different term. But that has gotten me a bit dissapointed even though im a big Shimano fanatic.

That's one thing about Shimano reels that sometimes I don't fully understand the reason why they put some plastic parts in them.

Like those little washers on the shaft under the spool used to raise or lower the spool position. They wear out really fast as it comprises the other part with friction silimar to the drag system.

I broke a Saros the first time I used it this year. The bail wouldn't close when I started reeling and when I did hook into a fish the bail opened up on its own. Thorne Bros took it back and gave me a new one. I have had no issues with the new one.

What I have found is reels just wear out. I have allot of sham. reels (not top end ones) and have always liked them but after awhile they just start wearing out. I have purchase a couple high end Diawa's this year and am going to see how they do. just do not like that feeling of a reel going bad. Just drives me nuts.