Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
1lkstage

Senior Graduation pictures!

17 posts in this topic

During attending my nephews graduation, Upon arrival, I didn't initially put the NRA tee shirts the whole family and grandparent were wearing togather till they showed us the copy of the Tyler Tribune. What happened by the RTR School board was uncalled for. I have attach a part of the article below.

With us of course, recieving an accual inventation, which shows him with his huntings dogs holding a gun, a beautiful picture of him with a huge walleye, and a picture of him shooting his bow. Some of these photo where not taken out of the year book like they were supposed to be.

Long story short, He was unable to participate in the Graduation ceremonies.

With all the gun/knife restrictions in school, This is what it has led to. Teaching/learning our own kids what the outdoors is all about, This is what they get in return!

The Grad himself was a 1/2 credit short of graduating, but they were unaware of this till 3-4 days before graduation. My own daughter was short of graduating last year and she was still able to go thru commencement, and complete during summer school.

I can only pull the following info myself, Hopefully someone out there can pull the full article from last weeks paper, as it was written by the mother. I will try to get my sister in law/brother to put thier own 2 cents in.

TYLER TRIBUNE:

The Russell-Tyler-Ruthton School Board spent a substantial amount of time discussing proposed changes to the student handbook at Monday evening’s regular meeting. High school principal Pam Bush presented the board with the proposed changes, most of which were changes in terminology. Most of the discussion, however, surrounded a recent controversy over the submission of a picture by a student who was posing with a bow and arrow. Mrs. Bush’s recommendation was to spell out in the handbook the fact that printing photos with weapons would be prohibited. Board Chairman Paul Erickson suggested that more information should be gathered before the final decision is made. “I think we need to check with other schools,” said Erickson, “and with the MSBA (Minnesota School Board Association).” Board member Bill Clark agreed. “I also would like to see what other districts are doing,” Clark told the board.

Board member Mike Barron felt that sometimes less is more when making the rules. “You can only have so much stuff in the handbook,” Barron said. “There are going to be loopholes. It’s too bad we end up with a situation like this. Where do we put the line?” Erickson felt a decision would have to be made, however. “We probably need to address it,” Erickson said, “It has become an issue.”

Mrs. Bush was asked about last year’s annual, where pictures were printed with students holding weapons. “It was supposed to be edited and it did not happen,” Bush explained. “What I’m referring to [with the proposed changes] is the pictures in the senior section.”

Clark hinted that it may be a matter of personal preference, which could change over the course of years. “Just because the current administration finds that distasteful, doesn’t mean the next one will feel that way,” Clark said.

Superintendent Bruce Houck said that the law dictates otherwise. “Under Federal law [the administration has to] assure [that we] will have nothing along those lines,” Houck reported. “If you approve this type of thing, I can’t sign those assurances. We’ve never had anybody challenge the administration before. If you guys want to break the law, that is your business.”

Well if he was posing in a long trench coat and an automatice weapon I would understand. Posing with your dogs and gun, no big deal. We are getting way too uptight in this country IMO.

RTR schools are full of kids who hunt and fish- male and female. I will have to ask my daughter's boyfriend about this, and see what he has to say. He will be a senior there next year.

School boards are not going to allow a weapon to be associated with school property, a school function or publication. If the photo were published and something later happened involving that student whether it were at school or not that photo would be used in lawsuits claiming the school district endorsed the use of firearms or at the very least was aware of the students access to firearms and did nothing to prevent the incident unless they had contacted the County Child Protection Services to investigate the circumstances. I agree that some school district guidelines need to be relaxed or at least reviewed on a "Per incident basis" with intent being a factor, but there is no gray area with weapons.

If a school has a policy in place, it must be followed. There wasn't a written policy regarding the hobby of archery being shown in a yearbook. Sounds like the kid got punished on a last minute rule change. That would bother me a bit. If it were an issue the previous year, it should have been put in writing.

I also find it interesting that PETA can attack a school in Wisconsin regarding the gun training that gets held there, and we all applaude the administration for standing up to PETA, while saying how good a hunting tradition is. Then, when something like this happens in a small rural school in Minnesota, it is treated differently.

This is a kid who loves the outdoors, and wanted to be pictured with tools related to his hobby - much the same as an athlete being pictures with tools from their sport.

School boards are not going to allow a weapon to be associated with school property, a school function or publication. If the photo were published and something later happened involving that student whether it were at school or not that photo would be used in lawsuits claiming the school district endorsed the use of firearms or at the very least was aware of the students access to firearms and did nothing to prevent the incident unless they had contacted the County Child Protection Services to investigate the circumstances. I agree that some school district guidelines need to be relaxed or at least reviewed on a "Per incident basis" with intent being a factor, but there is no gray area with weapons.

Although I am not a huge fan of guns/weapons whether hunting or crime, I do think this sounds just rediculous. Especially when it sounds like these pictures obviouslly depicted sport and NOT crime.

Obviously there is a gray area in this case when it comes to weapons otherwise the board member wouldnt have questioned "where do we put the line". If it was black and white he would have said that it was wrong and there would not need to be ANY discussion.

Did the school board contact child services in this case? I'd be interested to know. Im guessing probably not. It also said last years book included individuals printed with students holding weapons, was child services contacted for each instance. Sounds like another GRAY area.

Quote:
This is a kid who loves the outdoors, and wanted to be pictured with tools related to his hobby - much the same as an athlete being pictures with tools from their sport.

Yep, how is this different than someone wearing their football, baseball, basketball jersey, holding a ball or what not? Archery is a sport and there is sport shooting. Same thing as football, just doesn't get the same respect. I think it just goes along with us rolling over on our backs in this country. It's getting rediculous. No one has a spine for anything anymore. One person has a problem with something and everyone has to conform.

I don't understand why this student was punished for the pictures being in the yearbook. Shouldn't it be the responsibility of the yearbook editor to find and take these out? Not the one submitting them. His punishment should simply be that the photos were not in the yearbook...

In my ancient high school yearbooks I and others are featured in the sports section over several pages. Our rifle team was actually a varsity sport, and we shot in the basement of what was then the Jr. High. A couple of times a year we would get in a school van and the coach would drive us to meets in Cloquet, Virginia, and the annual BIG competition at the Armory on the U campus.

Each year we would shoot several qualifying rounds, and those scoring reasonably well would receive a whole bunch of free ammo from Uncle Sam, through a program called DCM or Department of Civilian Marksmanship. The ammo was delivered to the school.

One year several of us got a special treat when a fellow affiliated with Camp Perry showed up with a box dialed-in Garands. We drove to an area down near Babbit where we were allowed to fire the Garands at distances up to 800, while the fellow with the spiffy uniform offered advice, took notes, and let us burn up a ton of powder.

The medals, ribbons and other awards have long gathered dust, but the lessons learned and memories gathered live on. Our parents, teachers and peers believed our shooting to be a good thing. Our government offered support and encouragement. None of us went on to be mass murderers. Funny thing - law enforcement appears to be the most popular career choice when I look back at the guys and gals I shot with.

I will try and find my junior yearbook (2001) we had several pics in the year book with guns and birds from our school pheasant hunting field trip, and i went to a school in St. Paul.

I have to ask:

Why would an educational facility have an issue with showing the proper use of a firearm?

All my senior pictures had guns, bows, and dogs in them.

It's interesting that RTR is doing this. My kids go to MCC, right down the road. My oldest son will be a senior next year and after looking in his yearbook, half the seniors pictures have guns and dogs in them. Just like it should be.

In my ancient high school yearbooks I and others are featured in the sports section over several pages. Our rifle team was actually a varsity sport, and we shot in the basement of what was then the Jr. High. A couple of times a year we would get in a school van and the coach would drive us to meets in Cloquet, Virginia, and the annual BIG competition at the Armory on the U campus.

Each year we would shoot several qualifying rounds, and those scoring reasonably well would receive a whole bunch of free ammo from Uncle Sam, through a program called DCM or Department of Civilian Marksmanship. The ammo was delivered to the school.

One year several of us got a special treat when a fellow affiliated with Camp Perry showed up with a box dialed-in Garands. We drove to an area down near Babbit where we were allowed to fire the Garands at distances up to 800, while the fellow with the spiffy uniform offered advice, took notes, and let us burn up a ton of powder.

The medals, ribbons and other awards have long gathered dust, but the lessons learned and memories gathered live on. Our parents, teachers and peers believed our shooting to be a good thing. Our government offered support and encouragement. None of us went on to be mass murderers. Funny thing - law enforcement appears to be the most popular career choice when I look back at the guys and gals I shot with.

I remember fine days like that too, Rob.

I find it a bit disturbing I'm now old enough to look back with nostalgia the simplicity of the "gold old days" of the 60s and 70s when I was a boy.

yeah i can remember in 6th grade we had archery offered to us in gym class and that was at a city school, and it was only 9 years ago. and in my highschool they had previous year books maybe 5-6 years back in the office and there were probably 10-15 kids with a gun or dog or birds etc in every one. also for history class my buddy was allowed to bring in an old rifle from a war (no make or model or war comes to mind right now) and the princible is whininng about a kid enjoying the outdoors. this world is way to politicaly correct. sad time we live in frown

Senior year of High School I did a demonstration speech for English class on how to fillet a fish. Brought some jumbo perch I caught that Sunday on Mille Lacs in, the fillet knife, cutting board and did my demo, got an A!

I don't think that would fly these days.......no knife for sure and I'm sure the topic would be censored.

A gal did a demonstration in school on how to skin a rabbit (she raised rabbits) for my ag (FFA) class in the early 1980s. She brought a live rabbit in and killed and skinned it.

I am sure you can't do that anymore!

But still, non of us had guns in any senior pictures. We had casual senior pictures with guns, guitars, etc...but they weren't put in the yearbook. I guess is was "traditional" to put the "formal" picture in the yearbook.

Ah yes.....those of our era can all tell tales of simpler days.

I remember taking my shotgun to speach class for a demo on cleaning a gun. Could have counted 2-3 shotguns or rifles in my pickup any day in the school parking lot.

My how things have changed. Everyone knows of the horrible events that led to where we are with school rules and policies today. But, unfortunately what has transpired is a perfect example of the dismal futility of well intentioned "common sense" gun control measures.

Of course something had to be done, so most schools have implemented the strictest possible "zero tolerance" measures. Not only is it prohibited to have a gun or knife or any "weapon" in school, zero tolerance also prohibits anything depicting a weapon, or references to weapons.

The results have been these rediculas examples of kids being expelled for a tee shirt, or an inocent picture, or a teacher being disciplined for using a knife to cut a cake. Sadly, these zero tolerance measures have not been effective at actually stopping gun violence. In spite of our good intentions and "common sense" gun regulations school shootings continue even under zero tolerance policies. Why? Because real common sense will tell you that any young mind twisted enough to commit murder is not going to be influenced by a school policy.

So like other "common sense" gun control nothing is gained in real crime reduction while something is always lost. The 99%+ of society that are impacted by ineffective regulations were never the problem in the first place.

Of course advocates will argue that kids don't need to give speaches demonstating gun cleaning, and kids don't need to have hunting gear in their vehicles on school property. And no one needs to wear a tee shirt depicting a gun or reference to a gun so nothing important was really lost. In the endless debate on gun control how far does that arguement go? We don't need semi-auto shotguns for duck hunting when a pump, or better yet a single shot would do. In fact maybe we don't NEED to go duck hunting at all?