• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Truck for towing

Here is the scenario. Sold the Motorhome and looking to purchase a fifth wheel and going to need a tow vehicle. Sitting on the fence as to what to get. We are looking at getting a fifth wheel in the 27 foot range and will be also towing an "87" 17' Crestliner boat.

In the price range I am looking at it seems you can get 3/4 ton with a gas v8 with about 100,000 to 150,000 miles or a diesel with about 150,000 to 260,000 miles. I don't intend for this to be a daily driver, mostly just towing the fifth wheel and or the boat. What is going to be my best bet?

I am thinking the diesel truck from any of the big 3 would be better than the gas engine. But I would like someone else's opinions that knows a bit more about this than I before I go out and buy something I may regret.

How far will you be towing, long distance, or shorter distances? If within 25 miles or so, I wouldnt see the need for the diesel. If you are towing 100 miles+ I would buy a diesel. Now I would be looking at one between 100k-150k. The extra you will pay will save you in what you wont have to fix right away!

Most of where we go is in the 75 to 140 mile range. One of the concerns I have is with tow ratings, the diesels are rated much higher than the gas V8s, my half ton is pretty close at 7800 to the standard V8 of around 9200. And even though I don't have the trailer yet most are rated around 8000 and the boat has to be pushing 2000.

Your best bet would be a diesel. As I said before, I would be looking for one in the 150k or less range. Truck prices are on the decline, if you shop around there are deals to be had, also bargain some, these lots are stacking up with bigger trucks, they dont want to keep them .

Definately a diesel. Although I'd be a bit leary of Ford's 6.0 and 6.4. As already stated, I think you should be able to find alot of trucks for a fair price being diesel and gas prices are so high. Good time to be a buyer for a truck IMO.

I'd recommend diesel for those loads, and next on the list I'd say Ford's V10.

I went to a diesel truck last year and it's a whole new towing experience. wink

Used truck prices are falling big time, and I've seen some incredible deals go on hsolist, for example, however far away from MN. For the prices they are going for and no rust whatsoever I would consider it if I were a buyer.

2003 or older F-250 or 350, 7.3L crew cab would be the best rig I could think of and what I would purchase.

Have it checked out and gone over well.

The down side to this model year, some elec. trickery could be done to stop the speedo from work, thus not allowing the odometer to track mileage. It may show 100,000, but have 250,000 on it. As far as I know, there is no way to tell if this was done.

Good luck!

heat, send me an e-mail, I have a couple questions about your truck, I've been looking at one and would like to ask someone who would have answers other than a biased dealer!!!

cruiser1221 atttt yahoo dot you know what

Diesel, you'll like the mileage and the ability to go more than 25mph up a hill. Do check on the pin weight capability of the truck for pulling that 5th wheel and make sure that you get a long box unless you are installing a sliding 5th wheel hitch (PullRite SuperGlide is the only way to go on a shot box). If you are towing a 5th wheel and a boat you'll want the stability of a dually, ditto if you plan on using a slide in camper. SRW's can be squirly in the wind with long loads. Of course having a dually will make accessing certain boat ramps a challange.

For short distances like yours I would not exclude a gas engine like 6.0l GM or V10s Ford and Dodge. You can find them with relatively low miles at a good price. Diesel trucks still have a higher purchase cost, combined with fuel at $ .90 more than gas makes final cost higher than a gasser.

Example, you can find a Supercab GM 6.0l at $ 8000, but you won't find same truck with a Duramax for that little. The fuel cost difference will help also.

Another issue to consider is transmission, most diesel trucks have heavy duty transmissions that will take the towing abuse better tha standard transmissions.

Dually would be my choice, I cannot tell you how much you will feel safe when your pulling your double rig and a semi passes you at high speed. I've had both single and dual and I would never go back to single. I see many new RV owners on the road with huge 5th wheelers and single wheel trucks, I feel very sorry for them for how many times they have to stop and "clean their pants".

I tow professionally and my choice would be a dually gas better than a single diesel.

I've been researching this to death!!! I pull a 30' camper all summer. I currently have a tahoe, which pulls it with ease. that said, I want to get back into a pickup, just more convenient to throw the wood in the back, bikes, etc. I was set on a diesel, but now the way fuel prices are, I re-evaluated my situation. the furthest we go is a little over 100 miles. we don't do any towing out of state, in mountains, etc. would a diesel be nice, HECK YES, but necessary, NO. I've settled on my first preference being a chevy. I was looking at the 2500hd with the 6.0 lit entine, but settled on a 1500hd. reason is that this will be my wifes winter driver as well. the 1500hd has the same engine/trans as the 2500hd. it also has the auto 4wd option which I like. It will get a stitch better milage and ride a little nicer than the 2500hd. the 2500hd has 4.10 gears and the 1500hd has the 3.73 gears. I have a friend who has a 1500hd and easily tows 15000 pounds with it. My current camper is only around 6000 pounds, and the camper I'd upgrade to in a couple years only goes about 8000 pounds, so I talked myself out of a diesel, even though I REALLY want one!! good luck on your decision!!

Quote:
've been researching this to death!!!

Every time I think I have made up my mind someone posts something else and I start re-thinking my decision. My main concern is buy towing capability and price. I would love to get my hands on a dually but they are just not that plentiful.

I have duramax and it has great power. However my dad has a 6.0 and it has plenty power to pull the combo you are talking about. Hey keep your eyes open I might be selling mine soon.

Nowadays whit difference of fuel of $.80 more for diesel, and at least $ 8,000 more sticker price, the use of a diesel will get convenient only for high mileage users or heavy towers that can afford it.

Consider the cost of fuel in 100,000 miles:

Gas 10mpg at $ 3.9/gal = $ 39,000

Diesel 14mpg at $ 4.8 /gal = $ 34,200

You can see diesel will save you only $ 5000 in 100,000 miles, if you don't intend to reach that mileage, the difference is higher.

Nowadays diesel truck are a trend too, they are the newest Hot Rod for many. Get a 350hp Duramax, put a tuner on it and get 600hp out. Get a Cummins, add tuner, twin turbo and injectors and you get 900hp. Fet a Powerstroke with 6,4 and a tuner and you blow it up right away (just kidding)

I have a Dodge dually 4x4, I can beat my daughter's Camaro anytime, and that's a 8250lbs vehicle.

Anyway getting back to the towing issue, if you need a dedicated truck a dually gas would be ideal if you travel few miles, otherwise a single wheel will do the job but pay more attention to the traffic.

Valv, just to add. Although the Diesel (and much better Allison 1000 transmission) will add $8000 MSRP to the sticker of a new vehical, the resale price of the used vehical will be higher. So the cost of the option package is around $4K. Finally, at any weight the diesel just pulls better than gas (it's close to a tie if you consider the old 8.1 liter GM gas motor but that isn't sold anymore). Take a 2500HD with a gas and one with a diesel and pull a reasonable trailer over any hill and you'll go for the diesel any time. Cost isn't the only thing that enters into the equation.