• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Setup

fishnhuntnboy

Well I went to cabelas today and spent the most money I have ever spent in one day for fishing equipment. I got a casting setup with the Energy PT from quantum 7 bearing 7.0:1 gear ratio and a cabelas MagTouch 6'6" rod Medium power, fast action tip. I also baught my dad a 6'6" shimano compre medium power fast action tip for his birthday/fathers day present. I let him pick any rod he wanted and he chose that one. Also baught about 4 bags of worms that I ran out of. So all and all I only spent $353 on everything. I thought it was going to be more. Im kinda happy that my dad kept the pole a lil cheaper than the others.

Cabelas rod-$100

Shimano rod-$90

Quatum reel-$100(on sale from $190, what a great deal)

Worms/line/accesories-$42

Look on dads face when at cabelas- Priceless

last year my 10 year old bought a Curado and a guide series rod (like 325$) with his own money..... I asked him while he had enough money this spring if he wanted to buy curado/GS (50$ rebate) set up and he said no. Well he spent his money on a new computer and monitor and now when he uses his 2 spinning reel set-ups (back ups) he comments that he should have bought that curado combo instead!!!!

I told him so!

If you want quality stuff u have to pay alot for it. No way around it.

I wish I had your 10 yr old son's income when I was his age. I was't able to purchase that kind of stuff till my 30's :-)

Must be fun having your son as a fishing partner. Since he has some nice stuff of his own ... hopefully you won't have to worry about him using your good stuff (LOL)

I wish I had your 10 yr old son's income when I was his age. I was't able to purchase that kind of stuff till my 30's :-)

Must be fun having your son as a fishing partner. Since he has some nice stuff of his own ... hopefully you won't have to worry about him using your good stuff (LOL)

well, he saves all his money form birthdays and christmas and sells some of his things that he outgrows.

Olski, thanks for all your help and advice in selecting the equipment. I suppose you were wondering if we were ever going to leave the store. We could stay in that store for hours...which we did. Son already was out using the new rig and he was impressed by it all. Me, on the other hand, will have to wait about a week before I try out the compre.

Olski, yea same with my dad thanks for the help. I love the setup and I caught all fish that hit with it. The reel just needs to be greased up as it started to whine.

Sledneck like you said if you want nice things you have to be able to want to spend the money. Glad your son has some good stuff and doesnt make you go broke all the time. LOL

Darrin,

Just wondering how you plan on using your new set up. I just recently purchased a 6.6 St.Croix MH and a Phleuger Cetina Bait caster 10 bearings with a 7:1 retreave. My total cost was close to yours but I didn't get that kind of a discount on the reel. Congrats to you as I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I have already gotten a chance to get very aquanted with my new set up and totally regret not making this purchase a couple years ago. I have so far caught some quality fish on a lipless crank approach, deeper jigging, and worming.

Fever,

The setup I got is for my jigging seteup. The texas rig, wacky worm, caralina rig, etc. I may also use it as a top water setup, but im not quite sure yet. So far I am loving the new rig. I have caught some nice fish and have felt every little bite, weed, drag everything and have been able to hook all my fish with no problem. I am very pleased with the setup and cant believe the action I can feel from it.