Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dan L

Drop in boat speed when loaded?

6 posts in this topic

I have a Crestliner 1850 Fishhawk and suzuki 150 motor. I can run 50 MPH with a lite load. When I add another guy and our gear I am down to about 43 MPH. It seems like a big drop to me. I was running a 23" Suzuki prop at about 5800 RPM's mounted one hole off of the transom. I have now raised the motor up one more hole and tried different props. Same result with about a 7 MPH drop in speed. I have heard of maybe lowering the motor to the bottom hole to increase loaded speed. Any ideas or is this a normal drop in speed?

Stainless or aluminum props?

What do your rpms do when you have another guy and gear in the boat, do they drop a lot?

General rule for props is the more blade area you have (more blades, or different style blades that are bigger) the better it will be at handling a load.

I drop 500 RPM's from a lite load to as compared to 2 guys with gear. These a ss props. I wonder if it is worth trying a four blade prop.

Have you tried a 21" prop? You're a bit short on RPM's when it's just you since you're running at 5800 RPM. That may help a bit and get you on plane a little quicker when loaded down, but you're not going to gain much in speed. I don't think lowering the motor another hole is going to help your loaded speed. It will likely make it worse.

marine_man

I'm dealing with the same deal with my 1850 right now. I have a four blade on the way to try with the heavy loads. I'm going to have two props in the stow. A three 21 pitch for long range running when it is just two in the boat for tourneys or personal fishig and a four blade 19 pitch for guiding when I have four to five in the boat. It may be a pain to switch back and forth but with fuel prices every drop I save is a new crankbait.

I am curious how that 4 blade prop works for you. I have been thinking of trying the rev 4 by mercury. I hear that it carries a load well.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• cool find!  sure looks like a Swainson's.  
    • Great info.   Thanks Steve!   Jim
    • Came across this hawk on Earth Day at the edge of town. I've been told dark morph Red-tail, dark morph Swainson's and dark morph Broa- winged. Anyway, it's a dark morph some kind of hawk.
    • Yes it was.  I really needed one more layer today.  Lots of jakes and hens seen by us this morning.  Still looking for the toms.  Hope you had more luck.
    • There are a lot of apps available for that. Search your app store for "phone tracking" or something similar. Many give you the ability to share your positions so you both can see each other live. You might even have an app already on your phone. For example, I have Lookout Security installed on my phone and it includes the ability to find the location of my phone from another phone or PC. 
    • Watch your City Ordinances.  Some city's require a back-flow preventor, and it can be VERY expensive. I have both the battery backup, and the water driven sump pumps in my pit--all at different elevations, and feel very confident. When the water comes up, and the power goes out, the battery backup starts working.  After that the water driven sump pump will kick in.  The water driven pump will keep pumping until the power is restored and the main pump returns everything to normal. There is always water pressure in a power outage (from the tower).  Cities keep the tower full for fire protection
    • So proud of my 93 year old dad.  It's getting tougher and tougher just getting him out there, but he still knows what to do once there.    
    • I still gotta tag Moose! I'm going for a Tom only!!   (Personal thing) is ,,, I want to do it with my bow
    • Shaggy parasols are coming up in the shade garden again. Yum.  
    • VTX129 has a great point on nothing smaller than 9". I have a HB 998Ci HD unit. The bottom features that I can pick up are incredible- however I sometimes have a problem picking fish up on it. I have tried to keep my SI width narrower to help ID fish. Overall fantastic tool. The hard to soft transitions are easy to see as are rocks and so forth. On the HB units the larger screened ones come with the High Def transducer.  The smaller units come with a compact transducer. You can find some great prices on models that are being phased out - but they also will quit repairing those units sooner as well. Trade off's. Check out Universal Mania and some others online for pricing. Bass Boat central has a lot of info under Humminbird and Lawrance topics.   Good luck   Steve
  • Our Sponsors