Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dan L

Snap jigging jigs?

8 posts in this topic

I tried the snap jigging method last week on Winnie with great results. One problem I had was that I lost alot of fish on the hookset and at the boat. I just did not get the hook into alot of them. I hooked the shiner thru the mouth and out the gills and then into the back. I also tried a stinger hook but I did not care for that much. I hooked more weeds this way. Does anyone have a jig or setup that improves hook up? I see Northland has a shiner jig with a longer hook. Has anyone tried them? Thanks.

When I fished Winnie a couple weeks ago, I would do quick jigs frequently and not give them a ton of line when I felt a bite. I also kept tension on the jig so the walleye wouldn't feel the weight of it if I dropped the line. I also hook shiners thru the lips.

I would go with a stiffer rod tip. I used to have exactly the same problem and hook the minnow the same way. You have to keep the line tight. I went to a left handed baitcaster because I would lose the fish when I switched the reel from 1 hand to the other to start reeling it in (I would jig and set the hook with my right hand,put the rod in my left hand so that I could reel). That is a fun way to fish. I find it funny that some times you can drag a shiner with no hits. Try to snap that shiner off your hook and they clobber it.

I've had problems with the jigs hook not making any penetration. I've pulled in some walleyes and netted it, and when I got it to open it's mouth to see the hook was simply on one of its fang/tooth.

I think it's the combination of the shape of the jig head, wimpy rod and stretchy line.

I like to anchor and cast to a school of fish once marked, and lots of times aggressive jigging gets the most bites. The fish seem to eat the jig right after it hits bottom, so on your next snap jig you're setting the hook. I was missing/losing fish that way, then switched to a rod/reel that had fireline (no stretch) on it, and my hookup ratio went way up. With a no strech line your hookset doesn't have to be very hard to drive the point home. You actually have to be careful not to set too hard or you can rip the jig out of the fish's mouth.

Dan L was referring to snap-jigging, typically a technique used while trolling, but your point is well taken.

Dan the walleyes tend to grab the bait first then reposition it in there mouth so that the head is going down first so that is why I like to give them a little more time to get the minnow in there mouth far enough so that my hook is all the way in there mouth. Lisa had it right when she said to keep a little bit of tension on the jig but not so much that they feel you and you will feel the walleye chomping away. You just have to take up all the extra line and make a good hookset and you will find that your percentages will go up.One more thing to try on Winni besides the snap jigging is to just keep make short strokes but do it constantly (you will exercise your wrist)and when they are not quite as aggressive they will just grab on so you have be a little more attentive but can catch a lot of fish when no one else is getting bites.