• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Whats been working?

st.crioxfishin

How have you bass dudes been catching them lately!? patterns? lures? general reports? water temps?

I've been catching most of my fish on the inside weedlines and up on shallow flats with weighless plastics this past week. I've seen some fish still spawning. Some that haven't spawned and plenty of empty beds as well. Water temps have been andywhere from 64-71 degress. I really feel that we are still about 1-2 weeks behind compared to most years. I've also noticed that the weed growth isn't as far along as it usually has been in past years.

So whats been working for you?

Ive been getting fish on the weed flats adjacent to the spawning grounds. Smaller males seem to be near the inside weedline while larger females have been seen cruising deeper in the weeds near pockets and the outside weedline. Flukes, jigworms, and small cranks are getting most my fish. The bass spawn is over at the lakes Ive hit recently. The strangest thing is I still have not gotten a fish over 18" yet this year. Ive seen them but they ignore my offerings. I dont think Ive ever gone this many trips without a biggun.

Ive been pounding them on spinner baits. Any flat off a steep break has been the key for me. Aprox 50 fish in 3.5 hrs the other day.

3 days till I can start tossing for some bigger fish.

Duck

Most of my success has come from a Rapala DT Flat, diving to 3 ft. I like to crank it down real fast initially to get to the desired depth, then work the bait through the weeds, pausing and ripping. Also, I have had success on weightless wacky rigged senkos.

I've been catching most of mine on a colorado blade spinnerbait tipped with a twister tail grub (usually white). Fished slowly just over emerging weed beds. Many are hitting just after the lure hits the water or is ripped out of a snag. At this point in the season I try to mark 3-6 spots on a particular lake and rotate between the spots. Ratl-Trap's are getting a work out on my boat as well.

All but one of my 8 bass this year have come on a willow-bladed, fire-tiger skirt spinnerbait over the tops of weeds. I also missed a few before I put on a trailer hook. I also got one on a yamamoto tube on Sunday night. Most of my trips have only been for an hour or two so far.

The rat-l-traps, x-raps, and even the senkos haven't worked for me yet this year (for bass), but I have yet to have a long time on a body of water in one day yet this season.

I've been on Phalen, WBL, and DeMontreville.

Only days I've been out have been tough cold fronts. Anything flashy will get them to look, but they would only bite on small baits with subtle movements. I made my own makeshift tiny spinnerbait (curly tail on a small jig with one of those L-bend snap spinner things) and it worked well, brought them in and got them to hit.

What hasn't worked? I have had great fishing so far. Spinnerbaits have been big producers, but tubes and jigs are what I caught the bigger fish on in the one tournament that I fished. Spook Jrs and floating raps on top, buzzbait, wacky rig senko, texas rig worm, and weightless power slug have all been good for me as well.

The only difference for me is all the weeds are up now. Well they are getting thick. If I can get away with a crankbait I'll toss that, but if I keep picking up slime and what not I'll put on a buzzbait. Otherwise tubes, senkos, worms and other weedless lure are coming into play. I haven't seen anything on the deep weededge yet. Haven't tried too hard though. Sunnies are still shallow and the smaller females are still spawning. I've been focusing on the inside weedline and thick milfoil/lily pads. Some days are better than others

I just went out for a few hours this morning and it was slow. I was throwing some texas rigged plastics into some lilly pads. They are greening up and getting a little bigger, but its still pretty sparse. Water temp was around 65. I only caught a few out of there, so I'll be trying some flats near some deeper water next time out. We'll see.

It has been pretty much junk fishing for me - a couple on this, a couple on that, etc. Saturday I caught fish on the following baits - DTFat 3, SK Red Eye Shad, Buzzbait, Spinnerbait, Spro Frog, Lake Fork Magic Shad, and Soft stick bait. Nothing on jig/plastic or deep cranks. Better fish came on frog and Magic Shad consistently. Others produced mostly bank runners. Got about 25 fish in all.