• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

River anchor ??

TRDtom69

What is everyone using for a anchor in the river. I have a small 12' boat that I use a bell style anchor. In curent this does not hold very well at all. I have seen some river anchors that look like when they dig into the bottom you would have a hard time getting them up. Thanks

Richtors are good. I've lost them and others....

It breaks my heart and pocket book.

The tough part about the MN river is if it gets in a snag.... usually a tree (big with branches) your out of luck unless you have a crane to hoist it up.

I like to make my own and or modify.... I've been able to hold on to these longer than any store bought.. Could be luck of the draw though.

I've lost over 5 in the MN all types. ?action=view&current=P5300070.jpghttp://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n280/LarryFlatcaster/?action=view&current=P5300070.jpg ?action=view&current=P5300070.jpgP5300070.jpg

The Digger Anchor is the most versatile and is darn near 99% snag proof. It has an internal trip out mechanism that allows for retrieval from the worst of hang ups.

# 10 lb - for boats up to 17 ft

# 12 lb - for boats up to 20 ft

# 15 lb - for boats up to 40 ft or for pontoons up to 30 ft

diggerfresh.jpg

Digger also has a very good anchor cleat that can work horizontal and vertical with ropes ranging from 3/8 to 5/8".

cleat.jpg

A tried and true do-it-yourself river rat anchor on the cheap is as fallows.

Get a 26" 4" pvc pipe, bag off quickcreat, and a 8' rod of 1/2" rebar. Cut the rebar into 3 sections and bend them in half allowing for enough of an eyelet on the top to hook a clevis. Insert two bent rebar sections into the tube with the eyelets on one end and the straight ends protruding from the other open end. Now bend the ends to form a grapple. You have 4 prongs now and for most situation that is good enough. But if you wish more you now drill a couple holes on apposing sides and insert cut sections of the spare rebar to match the width of the two main barbs. Now pour concrete into the tube and allow to set.

Cheap and easy river rat anchor, and you can make a half dozen for the price of most commercial anchors. Not 99% nag-proff, but the rebar is easily bent if hung badly and you can always straighten it out latter. If you loose one, no big Whoop...you likely made a spare. This is a good system, and widely used by catter's nation wide.

I have had great luck with Richtors but the homemade ones like LFC has shown also work very well. Don't forget to put on plenty of anchor rope and some chain from the anchor then tied to the anchor line will also help.

I got my first Richtor this year after my other one was lost on the sippi. Love it. Pricier, but you get what you pay for. Also a little cheaper to go to fleet farm than anywhere else I could find. Make sure you do put 3 feet of chain on it at least.

It helps drop the angle of the rope for better gripping also. In the instructions, it states for the anchor to work properly, you need the chain.

Try these [Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

I fished with Farmboy who has one and all I can say is that anchor will hold in any type of area and is easy to retrieve.

hay guys, I bet that some of you have seen the ones that they use up on the red. i have one and they work well. if you snag up just tie on to the boat and pull. it is made with a piece of 2x2 solid stock about 14" with two pieces of 3/16 x 2" flat stock. each of these is 22" long and welded crisscross on the one end and then bent to aprox 45 dagrees. the other end has a loop welded on that you attach the chain to. if you go thicker than 3/16 you will have a hard time getting it unstuck. just my .02 cents

Yup Kid, that is a great one too. It spun off from the PVC anchor.

Stu McKay of "Cats on the Red" fame can be credited for making/invernting the one you described. They use it widely up North.

Lighter gauge tines are key on that style for hard set retrievals.

My fishing partner and I also make one that is a hybrid, the SUMO Anchor (37#), it's not for the timid at heart. It holds anything in a lake/river and has a very well functioning knock out system for hard set retrieval. Fishhead and a few guys here on FM.com have them, and continue to use them on the MN River. It's a beast...but as long as you use good rope...you don't loose them. wink

Yup the chain is most essential in light sea anchors and the like to help it set quicker. I have seen no need to use a chain on Diggers, they set fast and hold hard.

In an environment like the MN river and other reservoirs that have sharp shale or granite...a chain is a helpful tool to lessen cut offs and wear on the rope.

A 1-2 foot section of that clear flexible agra hose on the end of the rope can serve to protect from cut offs too. It also can be slid over the knot to protect it from wear. Much like the silicon hose snubbers we use on catfish slip rigs to protect the knots from wear by the weight.

I never used a chain in the past, but when I drop good ching on an item, I tend to follow the directions that come with it to a "T". Plus, the chain was only like $3-$4 and clevis was $2.

I does add up though, if I ever have to cut the rope eek

Well, I went with the Richter. Great anchor!! I was very impressed with how well it held in current and wind. I will give it the thumbs up to anyone looking for a new anchor. Thanks for all the info.!