• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Baitcaster with flip switch for bouncing

I'm looking to pick up a couple baitcasters for bottom bouncing. Any opinions on models with a flip switch for this purpose?

Do any Abu baitcasters have a flip switch?

thanks, LB

I picked up a Quantum Accurist this spring with a "flipping switch" but use mine for vertical jigging. Reels with flipping switches are hard to find as there aren't many models with this option on the market. I think they're great for jigging.

I use casting reels with flipping switches for 3-way rigging and sometimes for bottom bouncers. I haven't bought one in quite a while so I don't know about current models, but one of the ones I have is an Abu. Dan is correct, not very many reels with flipping switches are being made these days, as they're not in vogue with the bass fisherman anymore.

Check out the bass pro shops bottom bouncer combos. Parsons and Kavietz have their names on these. The rods are very nice and the reels are decent with a flipin switch. Good combo for the price. Mine are 2 years old and the drags are getting loose but I hear they improved the reels now.

Thanks for the info guys. Both the Quantum and Bass pro reels are good options. Anyone happen to be using Shimano Castaics? Kinda hard to justify paying 2x as much per reel, especially since I wouldn't be casting with them.

LB

The Quantum Accurist are nice. I picked up one on closeout at Cabelas for $60 a couple months ago. It was a $100 reel or more. I also have a Abu Garcia 4007lp and 2005lp which both have the flipping switches. I believe neither of the Abu Garcia are made anymore but you can find them online on hsolist or other online retailers. The 4007lp is a higher quality reel.

Another option is a reel with a twitching bar. Daiwa came out with several of these this year. The twitching bar is basically on top of the reel and allows you to pick up (reel) in line and engage your spool by pushing down on the twitching bar. The advantage of this is you can let out and pick up line with one hand without actually reeling. I picked up a Daiwa MegaForce with a Twitching bar and I have been impressed. It is kind of hard to explain how this works but you get the advantages of a reel with a flipping switch for letting line out plus you can bring line in with one hand as well. This isn't typically that important unless you fish somewhere were you can use two rods and have one in each hand.

Abu use to make a low profile baitcaster with a flippin switch, I don't know if it's in their current lineup or not I picked one up on hsolist a few years ago. Model 2006LP I believe.

Abu made a 521 XLT Plus back in the late '80s, I have 3 of them. I purchased 1 new and the rest off of hsolist, still the only reels I use for the most part. Flip switch and a removable spool.

Mike

Quantum Accurist (AC500PT-6.2:1 or AC570PT-7.0:1) I think if you shop around you will be able to find them for under $129.00 right now. For pulling bouncers or rigs I don't think any other reel will work quite as well.

Quantum Accurist (AC500PT-6.2:1) I think if you shop around you will be able to find them for under $129.00 right now.

I picked up a pair of the Quantum AC500PT for $80 each. Thanks for all the info guys.

LB

Flipping switches have fallen out of favor on round reels with any capacity. I'm sure it's a money saving/pricepoint issue- not that the big manufacturers would like to have us buy multiple reels, but you never know! Keep singing the praises/need for a flipping switch for one hand operation when backtrolling a tiller down a hump fishing bottom bouncers and maybe we will see them again on affordable models.

These high capacity reels can do multiple duty on a musky rod, big lake trolling rig or livebait rig for giant fish. Hans