Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
blueroof

Baitcaster with flip switch for bouncing

I'm looking to pick up a couple baitcasters for bottom bouncing. Any opinions on models with a flip switch for this purpose?

Do any Abu baitcasters have a flip switch?

thanks, LB

I picked up a Quantum Accurist this spring with a "flipping switch" but use mine for vertical jigging. Reels with flipping switches are hard to find as there aren't many models with this option on the market. I think they're great for jigging.

I use casting reels with flipping switches for 3-way rigging and sometimes for bottom bouncers. I haven't bought one in quite a while so I don't know about current models, but one of the ones I have is an Abu. Dan is correct, not very many reels with flipping switches are being made these days, as they're not in vogue with the bass fisherman anymore.

Check out the bass pro shops bottom bouncer combos. Parsons and Kavietz have their names on these. The rods are very nice and the reels are decent with a flipin switch. Good combo for the price. Mine are 2 years old and the drags are getting loose but I hear they improved the reels now.

Thanks for the info guys. Both the Quantum and Bass pro reels are good options. Anyone happen to be using Shimano Castaics? Kinda hard to justify paying 2x as much per reel, especially since I wouldn't be casting with them.

LB

The Quantum Accurist are nice. I picked up one on closeout at Cabelas for $60 a couple months ago. It was a $100 reel or more. I also have a Abu Garcia 4007lp and 2005lp which both have the flipping switches. I believe neither of the Abu Garcia are made anymore but you can find them online on hsolist or other online retailers. The 4007lp is a higher quality reel.

Another option is a reel with a twitching bar. Daiwa came out with several of these this year. The twitching bar is basically on top of the reel and allows you to pick up (reel) in line and engage your spool by pushing down on the twitching bar. The advantage of this is you can let out and pick up line with one hand without actually reeling. I picked up a Daiwa MegaForce with a Twitching bar and I have been impressed. It is kind of hard to explain how this works but you get the advantages of a reel with a flipping switch for letting line out plus you can bring line in with one hand as well. This isn't typically that important unless you fish somewhere were you can use two rods and have one in each hand.

Abu use to make a low profile baitcaster with a flippin switch, I don't know if it's in their current lineup or not I picked one up on hsolist a few years ago. Model 2006LP I believe.

Abu made a 521 XLT Plus back in the late '80s, I have 3 of them. I purchased 1 new and the rest off of hsolist, still the only reels I use for the most part. Flip switch and a removable spool.

Mike

Quantum Accurist (AC500PT-6.2:1 or AC570PT-7.0:1) I think if you shop around you will be able to find them for under $129.00 right now. For pulling bouncers or rigs I don't think any other reel will work quite as well.

Quantum Accurist (AC500PT-6.2:1) I think if you shop around you will be able to find them for under $129.00 right now.

I picked up a pair of the Quantum AC500PT for $80 each. Thanks for all the info guys.

LB

yea thier awsome for one hang operatin fishing bouncers dont have to clsoe the bail or move teh reel make fishign nice and efficient

Flipping switches have fallen out of favor on round reels with any capacity. I'm sure it's a money saving/pricepoint issue- not that the big manufacturers would like to have us buy multiple reels, but you never know! Keep singing the praises/need for a flipping switch for one hand operation when backtrolling a tiller down a hump fishing bottom bouncers and maybe we will see them again on affordable models.

These high capacity reels can do multiple duty on a musky rod, big lake trolling rig or livebait rig for giant fish. Hans