• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bird ID Help Please

Paul

Can anyone helpd indentify half of this bird. My Finacee was shooting away the other day and i found this shot on the card. I do not recognize it for being half there:

what-am-i-1.jpg

Not to doubt Steve's expertise, but I am leaning towards the female house finch.

The top half of the beak is somewhat rounded, or has a downward curve to it. The pics I was able to pull up of the Pine Siskin appeared to have an almost perfectly triangular beak with no curvature as compared to the bird in your pic.

Bird ID off partial pis is an inexact science. Which is why I generally am not positive unless I'm positive, if you know what I mean.

Certainly could be either one. Looks quite a bit more like the siskins I see at my feeders than the finches, but I'm not at all certain.

Also not to doubt Steve but I would be guessing female house finch. The siskins I remember here had a more conical shape to their beak, not as broad at the base as this one. But what do I know? I thought my wife would do the laundry and cook meals when I married her too! confused