• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Did a turkey on the grill this weekend!!

Did a turkey on the grill this weekend and it turned out great, moist and delicious, thought I'd share my method with you. I see there is another post on doing a turkey in a smoker - I'm going to have to try that brining method - but theres many ways to cook a turkey!!

I started with a 14 pound bird, took it out of the freezer on Wed, thawed it in the frig, Sat at 1 PM I set it on the counter to get to room temperature. I have a big Weber, I set a pan of water in the middle and still had enough room to pack 6 inches of briquets all the way around it. I had set a clean bucket of water out earlier to get it to outside temp, filled the pan and lit the briquets. 45 minutes later I threw the bird on. I also put a few hickory chips that I had soaked onto the fire. It was done in about 3 hours, I turned it several times to brown it, and the last 1/2 hour I had the thermometer stuck into it to ensure it was done, about 180 degrees. That pan of water was boiling the whole time, and also catching the drippings. The turkey turned out great!!! I've been having turkey sandwiches all week!!

The point I wanted to make is that you really don't need a fancy smoker or fancy equipment, you just need a big enough grill so you can close the top over the turkey. Ironically my wife had thrown out my old water pan, a 2 inch deep x 9 inch square pan, so I found a bigger, deeper pan, about 6 inches deep, by about 10 inches round and it worked great, no refilling half way thru.

Try a turkey, you'll love it!!

Blackjack I have the rotisserie for the big Weber and it is the only way I will eat a turkey. I like to brine it for 24 hours sometimes with seasonings and other times with just plain salt. The one thing I alway do is put the aluminum pan under the bird and put about 32oz of chicken stock so that all the drippings fall into the stock so when is all done I have the makings for a super flavor full gravy. I like to put a couple of hickory chunks in with the charcoal to give that smokey flavor. The one modification I made was to create a larger counter balance cause Weber only recommended a 16 pound bird and I made it so it will handle a 26 pounder grin

i use the indirect heat method on a weber also. i inject my bird with a concotion of butter or margine and all our favorite seasonings. do it early in day so it takes on the flavor of the seasonings. save some for when the bird is hilf done and inject the rest. nummmy.

I have done a couple on our gas grill using a large disposable pan, and a 2 liter bottle of 7up. No special seasoning or prep other than a quick butter up to outside of bird. Bird in pan, breast up of course, pour some pop in pan, med to high heat, just keep adding pop as it cooks off. Usually close to 3 hours to get to finished temp. I think I will do some kind of injection next time as well.

BlackJack, I'll second nine-tiner, I use butter (I have also used Olive oil) on the skin before I put the bird on. I never need to turn the bird, as it browns nicely due to the butter/oil coating. Try that on the next one, they only get better!! I only use a charcoal grille, I must be some kinda 'purist' or something. laugh Phred52

Instead of water or pop in the water pan, use apple cider. Also try apple chips for the smoke. Seems to make the meat a bit sweet.

This thread is makin' me hungry, Think I'll get out a wild turkey and fire up the grill this weekend.