Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BassThumb

Dock Fishing for Bass

4 posts in this topic

Seen another thread similar to this about what kind of hook to use.

I'm curious to know what you skip under docks the most, and what seems to work the best. Also, when is the best time of day/year to fish under docks?

I can get a senko under the dock pretty good, and your typical jig'n'pig, but never really have much success with either. Hoping to hear some success stories..

Thanks

Hah, well last year was the first time I ever fished docks with Senkos and I'll tell ya that I'll be doing that alot more this year. I outfished friends several times just cause I was able to skip that sucker underneath and let it fall. 90% of the time the fish would hit on the freefall, which I hear is pretty common. I've used a couple natural colors (watermelon, pumpkin seed) and I've also had a ton of luck w/ bubblegum (who would've guessed!). Either way, I can probably claim about 50 bass last year to fishing docks w/ senko style worms. Hot days, big shade from a dock usually = big fish cooling off under there.

I just like using any basic plastics from senkos and salamanders and what not. I like to try to get it so i can pull it so it kind of cuts the corner of the dock if you know what i'm saying and just kind of jerk-bait it through and then let it sit right at the edge of the dock and let her sink nice and horizontal like. Pretty basic and customary i suppose. I'd guess sunny days is when i usually rock this tactic.

Theres no limit to what you can throw under a dock but senkos and jigs are good starters since they skip so well. I find myself using those but also skip jigworms, texas rigs and cranks.

Docks are always worth checking! Thinking back on my best dock bites Ive found that low light has produced best whether its from overcast skies, dawn/dusk, or wind. Overcast conditions make it easier for predators to feed but also the fish may be hanging looser around docks making it easier to put your lure infront of fish.

When its windy boat control can be a pain and it may make skipping more difficult but the waves do give you an advantage. Fish are probably hanging looser around the structure, the waves make it harder for the fish to see you and spook, the wave action can cover up sloppy casts and noise, the waves also stir the water and dislodge bugs which results in minnows and other forage feeding which brings in the predators.

Not all docks on a lake will hold fish equally. in the spring docks on spawning flats seem to produce best. As the season progresses I like docks with deep water access.

The more cluttered a dock the better. Pontoons/boats, tires, pilings, axles, the more the better. The lower the dock the better, too. It means more shade and most importantly it takes a good cast to get under meaning less pressure for resident bass.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Popular Now

• That's a lot of hens Caddis - nice find!  I had three babies just starting last weekend in my woods, so I'm hoping to get some this weekend.  I've found hens through October by me (South of Metro), so we still have a full month of good shrooming ahead of us.

• Yep.  I think most people fall into that "rookie" category with mushrooms.  There are 1000's of them.  I think it's best to just learn a handful of the safe/choice shrooms and just admire the rest from a distance.  I had the same guess as Caddis, the 1st pic might be old Honey mushrooms, but they could be old Jack o lanterns too.  In other words - I have no idea!  The 2nd pick looks like an old gem studded puffball.  And the 3rd one I have no idea.  Generally, you need more info to get close to identifying them.  Examples:  Pic of underside to detemine if gills or pores; pic of cut shroom to see if they bruise a color or if it's solid/hollow inside; where it was growing (on wood or on ground, what type of tree etc.; any significant smell etc.  Every little piece of info helps to ID.  And even with all the info, there's a ton that simply fall into the "I don't know - don't eat it" category.

• On 8/9/2016 at 9:59 PM, monstermoose78 said:

I picked up this sign

image.jpeg

Lets try it like this.

image.thumb.jpeg.8224b090f90bf86e1e962663f47e18b4.jpeg

• Yah - great looking decoys!

MJ - I'm just letting you know I'm breaking into your house and stealing your spear rack.  And mount.

I found a rickety old 5 tine when I cleaned out the garage.  I might give it a try this season.

image.jpeg

• I can't identify any of those for sure, and certainly wouldn't recommend eating any of them.  The first pic might be some older honey mushrooms, but it's pretty tough to tell.  I've got about 8 mushrooms that I can positively id.  Beyond that, it's just not worth being wrong.  There are still some fresh hen of the woods mushrooms around the metro if you get out into some oak woods.  You can find them around the base of big mature oaks and they are pretty easy to identify.  Found about 20 on Wednesday.  Many were a little old, but was able to take 4 nice ones home.  Here's a pic of one that I left behind.

image.jpeg

• That's a lot of hens Caddis - nice find!  I had three babies just starting last weekend in my woods, so I'm hoping to get some this weekend.  I've found hens through October by me (South of Metro), so we still have a full month of good shrooming ahead of us.
    • Yep.  I think most people fall into that "rookie" category with mushrooms.  There are 1000's of them.  I think it's best to just learn a handful of the safe/choice shrooms and just admire the rest from a distance.  I had the same guess as Caddis, the 1st pic might be old Honey mushrooms, but they could be old Jack o lanterns too.  In other words - I have no idea!  The 2nd pick looks like an old gem studded puffball.  And the 3rd one I have no idea.  Generally, you need more info to get close to identifying them.  Examples:  Pic of underside to detemine if gills or pores; pic of cut shroom to see if they bruise a color or if it's solid/hollow inside; where it was growing (on wood or on ground, what type of tree etc.; any significant smell etc.  Every little piece of info helps to ID.  And even with all the info, there's a ton that simply fall into the "I don't know - don't eat it" category.
    • Lets try it like this.
    • Yah - great looking decoys! MJ - I'm just letting you know I'm breaking into your house and stealing your spear rack.  And mount. I found a rickety old 5 tine when I cleaned out the garage.  I might give it a try this season.
    • I can't identify any of those for sure, and certainly wouldn't recommend eating any of them.  The first pic might be some older honey mushrooms, but it's pretty tough to tell.  I've got about 8 mushrooms that I can positively id.  Beyond that, it's just not worth being wrong.  There are still some fresh hen of the woods mushrooms around the metro if you get out into some oak woods.  You can find them around the base of big mature oaks and they are pretty easy to identify.  Found about 20 on Wednesday.  Many were a little old, but was able to take 4 nice ones home.  Here's a pic of one that I left behind.
    • I'm putting it on my calendar.  Don't forget the Nord Lord trophy since it has a new home to go to. 
    • Detroit News breaks 143 year tradition, endorses Gary Johnson.   The endorsement is the first time in the paper’s 143-year history it has endorsed someone other than the Republican Party’s nominee. http://www.breitbart.com/news/detroit-news-breaks-tradition-endorses-libertarian-gary-johnson/  
    • Kind of like Trump did Monday night.
    • Gets on a bunch of talk shows. Jumps another 5 points in the polls.. This just ain't working the way it's supposed to...
    • Looks like it's unanimous then. Good thing my vote goes to Hillary since it seems everyone thinks she is the best person for the job.
  • Our Sponsors