• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dock Fishing for Bass

BassThumb

Seen another thread similar to this about what kind of hook to use.

I'm curious to know what you skip under docks the most, and what seems to work the best. Also, when is the best time of day/year to fish under docks?

I can get a senko under the dock pretty good, and your typical jig'n'pig, but never really have much success with either. Hoping to hear some success stories..

Thanks

Hah, well last year was the first time I ever fished docks with Senkos and I'll tell ya that I'll be doing that alot more this year. I outfished friends several times just cause I was able to skip that sucker underneath and let it fall. 90% of the time the fish would hit on the freefall, which I hear is pretty common. I've used a couple natural colors (watermelon, pumpkin seed) and I've also had a ton of luck w/ bubblegum (who would've guessed!). Either way, I can probably claim about 50 bass last year to fishing docks w/ senko style worms. Hot days, big shade from a dock usually = big fish cooling off under there.

I just like using any basic plastics from senkos and salamanders and what not. I like to try to get it so i can pull it so it kind of cuts the corner of the dock if you know what i'm saying and just kind of jerk-bait it through and then let it sit right at the edge of the dock and let her sink nice and horizontal like. Pretty basic and customary i suppose. I'd guess sunny days is when i usually rock this tactic.

Theres no limit to what you can throw under a dock but senkos and jigs are good starters since they skip so well. I find myself using those but also skip jigworms, texas rigs and cranks.

Docks are always worth checking! Thinking back on my best dock bites Ive found that low light has produced best whether its from overcast skies, dawn/dusk, or wind. Overcast conditions make it easier for predators to feed but also the fish may be hanging looser around docks making it easier to put your lure infront of fish.

When its windy boat control can be a pain and it may make skipping more difficult but the waves do give you an advantage. Fish are probably hanging looser around the structure, the waves make it harder for the fish to see you and spook, the wave action can cover up sloppy casts and noise, the waves also stir the water and dislodge bugs which results in minnows and other forage feeding which brings in the predators.

Not all docks on a lake will hold fish equally. in the spring docks on spawning flats seem to produce best. As the season progresses I like docks with deep water access.

The more cluttered a dock the better. Pontoons/boats, tires, pilings, axles, the more the better. The lower the dock the better, too. It means more shade and most importantly it takes a good cast to get under meaning less pressure for resident bass.