• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1982 Kawasaki 1100 starting problems..

Kylersk

Not sure if it is a problem or not..

When I first start the bike, I have to go to full choke which then runs the engine up to ~4K rpms. If I let it run at that for about 20 seconds or so, I can put it on half choke for a minute or so. Then no choke and it'll run at 1200-1500 RPMs and run fine.

Thoughts? It's kinda loud in the Morning when it's running at 4000+ RPM's (not harley loud, just loud reving).

That how its suppossed to be .. If you choke it all the way to start try going to 3/4 or 1/2 choke right away after it starts

number1 reving it like that right away is not that good for it and you will probably keep your neighbors much happier... : < )

I bet you need to do a thorough cleaning of the carbs. Have you done that lately, like in the past 5 or so years? Sounds like my honda did when it started to get pretty gummed up. The cleaning worked wonders and running like new again.

By cleaning, I mean taking them apart and "thorough" cleaning. It can cost about $100 per carb at dealer, or more. I had mine cleaned at dealer (thank goodness half-price Feb-prices), then a leak developed around gasket and I did the gaskets myself. I have Magna, so a bit more complicated with 4 carbs, but overall not too hard to do.

edit, I didn't see the part where you said it runs fine after that. So like the above psot says, it is probably normal. But when it is warm out, you really shouldn't need choke that much at all. Mine would not STAY running without a bit of choke. Now runs perfect.

Good luck,

Very typical of the lean lean lean carb settings of early to mid 80's bikes. VERY simple process to reset the idle screw mixture settings, but you have to find the little caps they put over the screws, drill or somehow remove to access the screws, then turn each one out to about 2.5 to 3 turns. You wont need to choke it as much to start and will idle better.

GREAT article about cleaning carbs in the first edition of "Retro Motorcyclist" magazine. Its on the newstnads now, put out by the past editor of "Motorcyclist" magazine.

After you clean the carbs, if your are still experiencing long warm up times, you may want to consider going up a pilot jet size. Most bikes are already jetted lean to comply with emissions standards. Some are so lean it affects runnability. Four new pilot jets will run you about 12 bucks from the local cycle shop and your neighbors will thank you for that extra half hour of sleep they will get in the morning.