• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

bad catching but good times

wjs1975

was out on a metro lake this weekend. Caught a dozen or so 12 inchers. But that was not the fun part. brought my son out and went shallow to catch sunnies. Water visibility was about 8-10 feet. So was throwing to schools of sunnies and saw a few 12 inc bass hovering on the outside. tried catching them on wax worms but no luck. then saw a school of about 2-3lbers and chased them with some plastics. went out a little deeper and saw some behemouths...a few easy 6 lber's that just turned up their noses at my offerings. they were not staying in place but were cruising around. Also came across a handful of tiger muskies ranging from about 20 inches to 40 inches. and still couldn't get a bite.

overall was cool to see all those fish. the winter moss pushing up was fouling up the lures but made it easy to see the fish. So how would you catch these fish if you didn't have a 4 year old making as much noise as he could? since they were cruising it was hard to pitch to the right areas of where they were since they would turn on a dime and go somewhere else.

just Fan cast them if you know their there just cast out with a jig n pig or a worm wacky style usually by the time you see them its to late so just cast out in front of you and hope you hit a bed or some are hungry thats what I would do.

wjs- Here is the situation... Once you have seen a fish, more than likely that fish knew you were there for quite some time. It may not be spooked, but is on to something not being normal and will no longer be in feed mode.

My only advice, check to see the araes fish are in, leave it alone a while and come back to it after an hour or so.. otherwise, note the area the fish were in, and then find similar areas and cast to it from a distance so as to not spook them.

Deitz is right on. I had a tournament on Minnetonka this past weekend (not the tonka classic) and I was making VERY long casts with 6lb flourocarbon to the inside weedlines where I had been seeing fish crusing the shoreline. This was how I caught all my fish. If they saw you, you might as well keep moving down the bank, because they woulnd't bite.

kind of what I figured. wasn't there at the time to fish the big ones but couldn't help casting at them. a buddy of mine a few years back caught a 46" muskie that was cruising past our boat.